Respected Contributor

@Malcontent wrote:

I never want to be cruel to my boy, but I don’t want to say goodbye this way either.

@Malcontent 

You did not want to be cruel but did not want to say goodbye this way either.

What was another option?  Could you REALLY watch him die that way? 

Your Boy is over the Rainbow Bridge now.  He LOVES you as you love him.

There is a time in life when we must all let go.  Let your tears flow and be at

peace, you did do the right thing and your BOY thanks you.

Blessings

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

That poem was beautiful.  Thank your for sharing.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

While I understand any pet owner's desire to keep a beloved furbaby with him/her for as long as possible, I have to agree with some who say keeping them alive under the conditions in the OP's post is not best for the animal.

I had to make the awful decision earlier this summer to let one of my cats go.  She still wanted to eat, but couldn't always keep it down and she was losing weight.  She wasn't the normal, healthy kitty she had been and her eyes had dimmed.  We'd had her for 16 years and that morning I just knew she was in too much pain.  The decision was made and it was the right one for her.  Not me or my DH, but for her.

I can't imagine having let her drop from 16 pounds to a skeletal 3.  That's an animal that's slowly suffering a painful death.  I loved mine too much to put her through that.  The pain was mine to bear.  I let her go with grace.

Do I still miss her?  Every day.  Do I wish she had just gone in her sleep?  Absolutely.  But I don't doubt that I made the right decision.

Trusted Contributor

@hckynutjohn 

I’m not in the mood, John. Back off the Spec Ops wife.

Trusted Contributor

His doctor at first said to us that it was his teeth and gave him two antibiotic shots and a B vitamin shot. The day after he did eat a lot, but then stopped.  I called her again and said he’s not eating and she said let the medicine work and called her again and again and she said give it another week and again and when I called her AGAIN she said it would be cruel to go on.

This is over many weeks. Not one or two days. My husband and I were so confused.

He (his urn) is now home with us.

Trusted Contributor

@Venezia 

His doctor at first said it was his teeth and gave him antibiotic shots and B vitamin shots. He’d eat and then not eat. I’d constantly call her. She told us to give it time.

Trusted Contributor

@elated 

We held on because his doctor said it was his teeth. She gave him shots and said give it time for the shots to work. It wasn’t until the umpteenth phone call that she said to me it would be cruel to go on.

If you think I don’t feel horrible... You’d be wrong.

His urn is now here with us.

Honored Contributor

@Malcontent wrote:

@Venezia 

His doctor at first said it was his teeth and gave him antibiotic shots and B vitamin shots. He’d eat and then not eat. I’d constantly call her. She told us to give it time.

@Malcontent - I'm sorry your vet gave you such advice, when your beloved furbaby was clearly losing far too much weight, too fast.  (I'd probably consider finding a different vet.  JMHO.)

And believe me, I know the pain you're suffering right now.  Just try to keep the good memories of all the time you had him in your mind and heart.  You did the right thing to finally let him go.  Please remember that and be kind to yourself.  Heart 

Respected Contributor

@Malcontent  I'm certain that your kitty had a peaceful passing and he is now at home with his loving family.

I'm so sorry that your veterinarian didn't seem to be as involved as she should have been.  As you said he was an older kitty and with age those internal organs just start to fail.  Most times there isn't much to do except give palliative care.  You did your very best and you gave him a home for all of those years.  Hold those memories of him close to your heart.  Rest In Peace, sweet kitty.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Malcontent wrote:

@hckynutjohn 

I’m not in the mood, John. Back off the Spec Ops wife.

@Malcontent 

I have no idea what this post of yours even means. Who the he!! is Spec Ops wife"?

How's about you "quote my post" so I will know what am "to back off of"!

hckynut(john)🥅🏒🥅🏒🇺🇸

hckynut(john)