Trusted Contributor

Re: When other people take away your happy

@Mindy D

Cute story. I can imagine how mortified I would feel too -and totally capable of making the honest mistake just like you! BTW- BIG fan of Walter Conkrite too👍🏼 

⚓️
Trusted Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB

Lol, that's too funny. Looks like we are more alike than different. I agree with your advice, forget that jerky lady! 

⚓️
Trusted Contributor

@Bird mama

Oh yes, she was no pushover, which is why I probably respected her even more. So professional. Bill's drinking got the best of him. I met him once at a Red Wings game, his eyeballs were so bloodshot, smokin' cigarettes, one after another, but was gracious to us.

I think Glenda is lovely. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

No one can take away your happy unless you let them.

Super Contributor

Heart

Honored Contributor

@mintedrose  So sorry your joy was taken from you🙁. That is just not right. Wish I could say something to make you feel better.  Time will do that. 

Respected Contributor

I see where you are coming from, but you cannot let someone else "take away" your joy. It was YOUR response to what happened that cut into your happiness. There probably was limited time, with many others waiting. That's all. I bet the author was thrilled to learn how much her work means to you, SHE will never forget the way you affirmed HER value. What a gift you gave HER!M You got your point across in a wonderfully open and honest way!! And you had a real, human moment with her. Sounds like a great experience. 

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I think you got that response because you asked a complete stranger to take a picture for you...lol   At an event where, from experience, I know the lines are supposed to move quickly so that everyone gets a chance to greet the author and get their book signed.  With all the weeping and hugging, you did take more time than you think you took and the request to snap a picture just didn't set well with that woman.  I don't know why you were upset.  No one else in the line objected or made an comments.  The author didn't comment.  So..   I don't understand your feelings.  Nothing bad happened to you.

I disagree.

As I posted upthread, I work in the entertainment business, and I've attended many meet & greets, booksignings, etc.  It is VERY common for people to ask strangers to take a photo for them.  I see it all the time, and I've never once seen anyone not willing to be nice and helpful about it.  

This is pretty common with people who wait at stage doors after Broadway performances too, btw.  I've seen it happen in that situation many, many times also.

In any case, I don't think @mintedrose should be made to feel that she did anything wrong because she didn't.  I'm willing to bet that if someone had asked her to take a photo for them, she gladly would have obliged.  So she probably assumed that this woman would be as kind.  I think most of us do understand why this was an upsetting experience, and even if not, she's entitled to her feelings.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mintedrose  You sound like you tend to be somewhat emotional which is not a bad thing so don't misunderstand me.  I think you are a very sweet person to be sensitive about the author.  The woman you asked to take the picture was indeed very rude.   I would have said something to her but you seem to be a very gentle soul.  Don't let this get you down.  This is how you felt and keep the happy moments.  I always say what goes around, comes around.  She will get hers.  Have a wonderful weekend and take care.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Your happy is still there, within your heart. You had a hug, a cry, a meditation and moments of joy. The smile and spirit within you can not be taken away. Feel yourself as you felt when you met the author do not look at it as you suppose others did, they did not experience what you were experiencing. 

You have your happy. Be happy.

If you do contact the author do so without apologizing for you being you.