Honored Contributor

Re: When one spouse retires before the other... your opinion

If this wasn't addressed in 43years, it's most likely he is not going

to change anytime soon..nor should he. 

Everyone has their own standard of 'clean'.

If you are determined to give him a list of chores, maybe compromise.

If he helps 'some' then you can relax 'some', as well.

I would strongly encourage hiring professional cleaning help

which can take care of the things needed for both of you.

That's something that should've been done moons ago.

Esteemed Contributor

@MsCatLuver  Exactly. I'm more laid back and like to recharge after a day of being around students, faculty and public. We've always honored our re-charge time. I'm concerned about coming home to a 'lived in' house and someone full of energy - ha. Thanks for your advice. I need to communicate this. He's also an optimist so he doesn't get overly concerned about stuff or 'invite' trouble. So sometimes these conversations fall on deaf ears. Great guy - don't want to appear to be negative about him.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I think that you shouldn't expect him to change into someone he isn't and never has been just because he is retired.   It's only a great time for him to become Betty Crocker if that is what he wants to do.  If he has expressed an interest in cooking and house work, then you can share the chores.  But insisting that he do those things, is looking for trouble and discourse.  Certainly you can have a discussion but don't respect who he is as a person.  If my husband and I retired together and he suddently, out of the blue insisted that I share the yard work and home repairs and car maintence when in 40 years I had never done those things....well....that would not go over so well with me.  You know you husband, you know how you have divided the home chores all these years, so you certainly do know who he's going to react to such a discussion if it's about what you want him to do now that he is retired.     

Esteemed Contributor

@Sadiesadie Yes, it's the transition I'm thinking about. Not claiming to have huge problems. I don't. But reality is -- there's a transition to work through. Interested in how others made it work. Thanks for your thoughts. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Valued Contributor

@sidsmom , why should this have been addressed 43 years ago?  He wasn't retiring then.  And why should the hiring of professional cleaning been done moons ago?  They seem to have been doing just fine. Now this is a new phase in their lives so she wants to discuss it now to make the transition easier.  

Honored Contributor

You just reminded me of something funny.  So, my late husband started talking about selling his 1/2 share of the company he and a friend started.  

It had gotten way too big (somewhere near 250-300 people).  He was bored with computers and writing code, etc.  He kept saying his brain needed a rest.  He wrote all of the computer code the FAA used.  When the US changed from 1999 to 2000 they wanted him on stand-by in case something happened.  He said, "No way can I get back into my brain and try to fix stuff".  They offered him so much money jjust for stand-by.

Anyway, I digress.  So, before I knew it he came home and said, "Bob (his partner) and I have drafted up a contract.  It's a done deal, I want out".  OMG!  The man was only in his late 40's!!  I've been a stay at home mom since my first daughter was born (over 40 years ago).

I envisioned him staying home driving me cra-cra!

Well, all of the people who wrote code with him wanted him to start his own company.  Can't do that anyway as everyone always puts in a non-compete clause.

So, we took our girls and traveled all over Europe (29 days in 19 hotels).  Phew!  Then we traveled all around parts of the US.

He got bored and started a lot of other companies (just two or three person companies).  He had all of them going at the same time.  You have no idea....the man was amazing.

His favorite company was building.  He became a builder and developer.  He started traveling mainly down to Florida to his favorite development.

OMG!  It was wonderful for us both.  He traveled when he wanted to (arrange dates good for us).  I'd travel with him if I wanted to.  My daughter (the single one) would go and help, learn and spend time with Dad.

Some of our best conversations was when he'd call at the end of the day or stuck at airport.  We'd talk for hours about shows we loved as kids, etc.

Here's my point.  Encourage him to do something he's always wanted to do.  

I think you'll find it can be a good thing and fun.

You know, I remember how hard it was for me to get up to go to work right after we got married and he went to school and worked two jobs (eventually...and before kids).

It wasn't easy to get up on cold days or nice days and he'd still be in bed because he didn't have to work (part-time) or go to school that early.

But I did it and boy did it pay off.  He/we became successful in life and in our marriage.

It will all work out.  I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas and opinions.  The fact is it probably will be hard at first but if you love each other and hang in there....it's worth all of it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love your responses -- exactly what I'm looking for. It's terrific to ask non-partial people. Off to run errands. You've given me a lot to think about. Thanks again. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think you are picking a fight before there is reason for a fight.  

How dirty can your house be if you're both gone 5 days/week?

Respected Contributor

Imagine he is a sheep dog but now he only has one sheep and it's you.

Honored Contributor

I went through the same situation but really can not help you. My husband has been retired now since 2017 and still wants to do NOTHING.  Watch TV, play with his smart phone ...will not go on walks with me...and ONLY helps here at home IF I ASK  HIM TO. 

it is his life and I am not going to bitch about it.  I hope you and Hubby can do better.