Respected Contributor

Re: When a relative keeps insulting

She'll only irritate you if you let her.  Remove her from your life, end of irritation.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't be insulted by a remark like that in the least. If one of my former in-laws spoke of my 6-figure gift as "small", I would look at that person like they were ignorant -- that's all. But if she constantly says it to me, I might find that annoying.... and I will tell her so... or walk away from her permanently. End of story.

Other than that, no one is privy to my financial information other than my husband. My finances are not a point of discussion. I don't know how your former in-law found out about your gift. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003

I do understand your desire to help your ex SIL.

But telling her how much a gift cost (for example) seems to provide her with information to use to insult you.  Seems that you could limit the personal information (financial and otherwise) you share and still help her.

If you have a comment about one of my posts,
please use the @ + my name so it reaches me.  Only noticed your remark about my post by accident.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

As someone here recently mentioned, turn it into a light-hearted joke.  Laugh a bit.  Smiling and laughing usually works.  It's a message that you find the issue very amusing. It usually works, btw.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

She sounds a little self-centered.  If she says it again tell her enough already.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength