Super Contributor

Re: When You walk into someone's home for the first time....

@SeaMaiden

I can somewhat understand your anxiety. A few have mentioned using diffusers or such, and to that I would say, don't burn any sweet overpowering candles or diffusers. That would turn me off right away. I have my home on the market and spend sooooo much time trying to keep it looking perfect. We live in it, though, so that is almost impossible. All I can say is -- don't stress yourself out over company only going to be in your home a few hours. Just enjoy the visit!     

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am going to reflect on my long life and get on my soapbox a minute here because I have been very poor, and not so poor and we have entertained a lot for business, and I grew up in the house everyone came to.

That was a tiny little house, and we were pretty poor, like so many people in Oklahoma especially back then.  The good glasses came free with tea, and the furniture was all brown because of the job my dad had.  My mother wasn't the best housekeeper in the world, but she welcomed you with open arms and moved something off the sofa and brought you something to drink.  Or we all sat at the kitchen table and talked and laughed.

My aunt was a TERRIBLE housekeeper--very clean but LOTS of clutter and sewing projects.  But she was a sweetheart and the life of the party and everyone in town loved going to see them.  She would worry about her house and sometime get mad when people were coming because she was ashamed in a way of her "stuff."  BUT when they got there they and she had the time of their lives and they left vowing to come back and her begging them to not make it too long before they did!  

Most of my adult life I've had a tiny house and people always felt at ease and welcome, sometimes the biggest house.  It's easier with the bigger house, but not really different.  

So what I'm trying to say is it isn't the size of the house or what is stacked on the sofa as much as how big your heart is and how you impart to people that you are happy to see them.  And the more often you do it the easier it gets.  If you have a bigger house and a lot more than people, you can make them feel loved and special to be there.  If you have a tiny house and a lot less, you can make them feel loved and special to be there.

But remember there are always uncharitable people, and people who will say someone was "putting on the dog" when they did something nice for them no matter what you do, and that's them.  You can't fix people like that.   So --  "forget about it" and carry on! 

Respected Contributor

You know the answer, we can't tell you,Woman Indifferent find your comfort zone.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

smell

I rarely have guests over myself. I don't care to make it up to their standard.

Honored Contributor

If you cleaned, that should be good enough. 

Sometimes people's couches or chairs look a little questionable and that is usually something people overlook.

It doesn't hurt to take a soapy towel and wring it out really good and hit the upholstery a bit.  You'd be surprised to see the dirt that comes up.  Don't drench the furniture, and let it air dry in time before your company comes.

Other than that, yummy food, be it for snacks or the meal itself.  Something that's appealing to the eye will be appealing to the tummy.  And a pretty dessert!

Honored Contributor

Take some deep breaths and relax! I used to get myself in a tizzy when I was going to be entertaining too, but no longer. I just make sure my house is nice and neat, I like everything super clean anyway, especially in the main rooms, and guest bathroom..Maybe get some Fresh Flowers and put in a vase, that is always so pretty and homey this time of year, and if so inclined, maybe burn a nice light candle, or melt a tart. 

You can always burn a candle beforehand and then put it out right before the guests arrive and your home will still smell really nice.....But this time of year, I love the idea of Fresh Flowers, plus they smell really fragrant as well. Since they are spending the night or anything, I think you will be just fine! 

Try to enjoy and the next time it will be easier, and it will get easier and easier..... 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't like having visitors either.  I would just be sure the bathroom is very clean, as well as the kitchen.  Also, if you have pets, make sure there is no smell.  We visited friends in another state who had cats.  The stench was so strong it almost knocked me over.  But they must have been so used to it that they did not notice it as all, or as strongly as we did.

Be sure to smile, relax, and have a good time.  If you do that, then that is what the guest will remember the most.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

I didn't read all the replies but honestly the SMELL of a home is at the top of my list!  It is the 1st thing that if it is bad will smack the company in the face so to speak LOL!  Since you listed that I'd say your covered.  Do a little cleaning....that makes you feel good and comfy not over the top....light a few nice candles and relax...enjoy your company.

My Mom was the person that stressed me out so badly!  She was the person that looked behind the shower curtain to see if it was clean....or if your windows were clean enough and on and on.  I had to force myself to calm down and not make myself a basket case for all the holiday and b-day get togethers at my home.  Nobody else did this stuff...just the way she was.  

Honored Contributor

I have a nose like a blood hound, I notice a clean bathroom and the smells in the room I'm in. I come to visit the person, I really care how cluttered or really clean it is, not going to get the white glove out.LOL

Super Contributor

I'm probably the worse person to respond to this question but here goes!  I wish I could be like many of the other posters and not worry about what people think but I'm just the opposite.  When I know we are having company, I go into overdrive cleaning every nook and cranny.  I'm an OCD type person so this is just part of my personality. I keep a very clean and orderly house at all times just for my own sanity but when we have company coming, I'm climbing up on counters and chairs to make sure there is no dust on top of the refrigerator, bathroom fixtures, picture frames, window sills, etc., all the out of way places you wouldn't normally worry about on a weekly basis.  It drives my husband crazy because I'm cleaning right up to the last minute they walk into the house.  I should also mention my husband loves to clip articles out of magazines and newspapers that interest him and accumulates a pile next to his lazy boy chair which I'm continually picking up and putting into a box that I purchased specifically for this.  I'm telling you...it's exhausting being OCD!!   But to sum things up, for the majority of people a tidy, fresh smelling house is all that's important!!