Valued Contributor

Re: When You walk into someone's home for the first time....

Interesting topic with helpful suggestions.  I had guests  for a week recently.  I realized that the amount of cleaning and preparing that I do, is in keeping with what I am comfortable with.  It's the level of cleanliness and hospitality I feel is right ...  the standard I apply to myself.  Often, this is an unreasonable standard.  So, prepare as much or as little as you are comfortable with then, relax, sit back, and enjoy your guests.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The first thing I notice when I walk in someone's home is the smell, if there is a smell.  Fragrance, pet or food.  Once I'm seated, I would notice clutter.  When I clean for guests I remove all clutter, dust and vacuum.  You will be fine.

Contributor

interesting topic. i was once told years and years ago that if your floors are clean, and your dishes are done, your house appears clean. it's so true, i still do that today. Smiley Happy 

Contributor

May i ask what non scented spray is? Thanks Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@SeaMaiden

Not everyone is judgemental. 

When I walk into someone’s home for the first time I usually notice how nice it looks. 

Occasionally, I’ll notice it is a bit cluttered with everyday things. It is a normal thing for many people.

I’ve rarely been anywhere that I thought the place looked bad or in disrepair. 

Why would I care or judge anyone on how they keep their home?

@willdob3     Thank you for sharing!.

I was jaded and hurt  25 years ago when I had a "friend"  come over to my home right after I had bought it. It was our first REAL HOME  I was so excited and thrilled about owning my own home and was excited to have her over... THE FIRST WORDS THAT CAME OUT OF HER MOUTH AS SHE ENTERED THE HOUSE WERE:

"OH, it is so dated."   

I was SO CRUSHED Smiley Sad   I THOUGHT my home was was so wonderful and beautiful  and I wanted to share my happiness....  I never told her how those words crushed me....

And I never forgot that moment all these years... and it has kept me from every wanting to entertain guests ever again. 

This "Friend" said other things over the years that were so hurtful. On purpose? I do not know..... and I finally stopped the friendship.  I feel she was always jealous of me for some reason. 

It shows how powerful words are and how they can affect someone for the rest of their lives.

@SeaMaiden  Wise words you have posted here.  I don't know why sometimes it takes us so long to hear what people are really saying.  We were friends for 25 years with people and finally woke up and realized that we were friends with them, they weren't friends with us.  Same sort of thing you are talking about.  Exactly! 

Regular Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

Declutter the living room and kitchen, especially of papers, magazines, etc.

Buy new hand soap and hand towels for the bathroom. Make that room super clean and decluttered. Replace the toilet seat if needed.

Bake chocolate chip cookies- the break and bake kind in the dairy section are fine. Make coffee. The smells of baked cookies and coffee mask a lot of unpleasant odors and you can offer the food and drink to your guests.

Whenever you can, open the windows and let fresh air in,

Clean the kitchen sink and counters and the bathroom an hour or two prior to their arrival.

Do you have a pet or pets? Get ALL the pet hair up and remove, don't mask, as much pet odor as possible.

Run a laundry load of whites with a little Clorox bleach. Place the wash in the dryer just before your guests arrive. Nothing like the smell of clean cotton!

Try to enjoy your guests. You don't have  to clean the whole house, but you should always keep the public spaces of your house clean and well maintained.

They will be gone soon enough. Who cares if they judge your home? so what?

You will me fine. Give it your best, then relax and smile.

queendiva: Just what I was going to say! 

I might add:

If you have them, change out your A/C cooling system filters so cooking odors don't come back.

Stay away from any air freshener/diffuser etc the artificial fragrance is too strong and expensive.  If you want a "scent" try adding about 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to a pot of clean water. Bring to a boil, then remove from the burner and let it sit until prior to your guests' arrival.  Then just pour down the sink drain.  Try that same method only with spices if you like.   Maybe try these ideas out before the day arrives to see if you like the "scent."

Cats, then clean the littler box out and add "fresh" litter.  

If you are overwhelmed by clutter, put it in boxes or bags, label them and then you can sort through them later.

Put away any personal items such as; medications, bills, letters any thing you would not want someone to see/know about.

Don't count on the time line you gave for only a couple of hours for the visit, circumstances can change and they might say longer.  Hopefully if they do, it is because they are enjoying the time with you!Smiley Very Happy

Good Luck!!

Regular Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

@SeaMaiden  Clean your home to your standards. Do not worry. Smile. It will be okay.

I would rather be in gracious and welcoming home, even if not perfect.....than a perfect home with a cold fish as a host/hostess.

It will be okay. 

So true!   Being gracious is the key.  SeaMaiden, do your best and treat them as you would want to be treated. Heart

Honored Contributor

@MoodeeFan wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

@SeaMaiden  Clean your home to your standards. Do not worry. Smile. It will be okay.

I would rather be in gracious and welcoming home, even if not perfect.....than a perfect home with a cold fish as a host/hostess.

It will be okay. 

So true!   Being gracious is the key.  SeaMaiden, do your best and treat them as you would want to be treated. Heart

@MoodeeFan   I have NEVER entertained guests for a few hours let alone longer.

I really do not want to offer drinks etc. since they are just visiting for a short visit, is it OK to not mention offering drink of some kind.

If I needed to offer something, what is a beverage that is good for most people....juice... pop.... sparkling water? Can it be out of a can? I just have no idea.  I do not have glasses that I would want to offer a drink out of that are nice.  I could go buy some glasses if you feel that is something I need to do. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, offer iced tea or lemonade. Proper etiquette requires offering refreshments. You can include a plate of cookies but it's not absolutely necessary.

Try not to worry about it. What's the worst that could happen and how likely is it that it will? 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@MoodeeFan wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

It will be okay. 

@MoodeeFan   I have NEVER entertained guests for a few hours let alone longer.

I really do not want to offer drinks etc. since they are just visiting for a short visit, is it OK to not mention offering drink of some kind.

If I needed to offer something, what is a beverage that is good for most people....juice... pop.... sparkling water? Can it be out of a can? I just have no idea.  I do not have glasses that I would want to offer a drink out of that are nice.  I could go buy some glasses if you feel that is something I need to do. 

@SeaMaiden  It might be helpful to us if we knew more about the nature of the visit, the length of time they'll be in your home, and the number of people you are expecting.  Is it a "walk through" or a "sit down" kind of visit?

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~