Honored Contributor

Re: When You walk into someone's home for the first time....

I just cleaned our guest room because DH has family that visit in summer. Small things like dirty light switches and doorknobs catch my attention. 

Esteemed Contributor

My advice is not to worry about anything.  Just make sure the house is clean, there are comfortable places to sit, and that things are in order for whatever you have planned - a meal, drinks, just conversation, whatever.

Presumably these people are coming to visit you, not to critique your home.  If anyone walks in with a critical eye, that's their problem, not yours.  It's YOUR home, and you shouldn't change anything for anyone else or worry about what other people might or might not think.

Relax and enjoy the visit!

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@bathina wrote:

I would make sure my entryway and everything in its line of sight was clean and clutter free. Then I would be sure my kitchen sink was spotless. I would also thoroughly clean the bathroom your guests will use.

As long as things your guests will first notice and touch i.e. sink faucets toilets and handles are clean, most guests aren't caring about decor.

@bathina    my "guest" bathroom is down stairs with the washer and dryer in the same place... there is a sink etc. I do not want people  using  my own bathroom.  Do you think that it is rude to have guests use the bathroom that is also a laundry room?  It is a nice room... but it is the laundry room/ bathroom.  I  do not know what else to do  as I do not want people in my private bathroom. 

That's your guest bathroom, so it's fine.  I know that I would rather use a guest bathroom (whether it was also a laundry room or not) than someone's private bathroom.  No one will give it a second thought.

I think you should look at all of it this way:  When you go to someone's home, do you expect that they will change things around for you?  Do you want them to stress over your visit?  No, you don't!  :-)  So if you want to feel you've done something special, buy some fresh flowers and use your prettiest dishes and just relax.  A relaxed hostess is the best kind of hostess!  :-)

Honored Contributor

This is always my suggestion.

Take pictures of your house.

Do you have a digital camera or a camera on a phone?

You can delete later.

I always see something in a picture I never notice in real life.

Also, sit in all your chairs and look around.

Look under furniture, move small pieces of furniture around to clean.

Do you need to wash curtains?

I have a dust mop on a long handle.   I often can't see dust but I dust the walls and ceilings anyway.    Turn on all the lights and lamps, look for dust.

If you  have throw rugs anywhere, wash them, replace them, or hide them!

@SeaMaiden

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I don't think most people are judgemental, and hopefully yur guests won't be either. I'd just do the basic cleaning. I'd also remove magazines and newspapers that sometimes accumulate and can make a place look cluttered. ...maybe put out a few new scented diffusers. And relax....try to enjoy your company for a few hours! Sometimes what we anticipate turns out to be the exact opposite!

@jannabelle1 Ahhh positive thinking! Good idea! Are those plug in scent diffusers best? Never have used them.

I nearly had a fire with one of those.  My son walked into our guest bathroom and it was filled with smoke.  When the Fire Department came, we were told they had responded to many fires that were caused by those plug-ins.  I will never buy them again.

Just FYI!

Honored Contributor

Clutter picked up--mail, magazines, stuff on countertops and end tables.  Nobody's pills, nail files or personal grooming items out on tables or in bathrooms--no toothbrushes.  Clean towels.  Clean kitchen and stove and fridge.  

Neat cups and saucers, mugs or glasses to serve beverages.  A cake, pie or plate of brownies for snacking.  Water and tea in a decent pitcher.  Spray house with non-scented spray before guests arrive.

Honored Contributor

One rather drastic thing that might make YOU feel beter:  Carpet cleaning.  It is not usually overly expensive,and often does make the house smell and look better. . . just a thought.

Also, splurge and get a cleaning crew!  A treat for YOU and a good excuse to do it!  

Respected Contributor

I think I'd be your idea of a perfect house guest.  Over the years I've been invited into people's homes and they've varied from everthing from a virtual hut, homes in the middle of remodeling (one with a hole in the center of the upstairs bathroom floor), rustic cabins and posh, sparkling clean showplaces.

What do I remember most about them?  I enjoyed the company because  I was made to feel welcome and comfortable (once sitting on a packing crate), while being served the best tasting antipasto platter I ever had.  Good conversation, laughter and a little wine doesn't hurt either.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

One rather drastic thing that might make YOU feel beter:  Carpet cleaning.  It is not usually overly expensive,and often does make the house smell and look better. . . just a thought.

Also, splurge and get a cleaning crew!  A treat for YOU and a good excuse to do it!  

I think these are good suggestions.  They're certainly not necessary, but might take the edge off the OP's anxiety.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RoughDraft wrote:

I think I'd be your idea of a perfect house guest.  Over the years I've been invited into people's homes and they've varied from everthing from a virtual hut, homes in the middle of remodeling (one with a hole in the center of the upstairs bathroom floor), rustic cabins and posh, sparkling clean showplaces.

What do I remember most about them?  I enjoyed the company because  I was made to feel welcome and comfortable (once sitting on a packing crate), while being served the best tasting antipasto platter I ever had.  Good conversation, laughter and a little wine doesn't hurt either.

@SeaMaiden

This may sound strange, but I notice the "feeling" the "energy" in a home.  I must be like a dog or something because I really can "sense" when or if someone is stressed-out or angry or worried.  But if the host and hostess are relaxed, upbeat, I'll more than likely feel that way too.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou