Honored Contributor

Re: When You walk into someone's home for the first time....

The first thing I notice is clutter and stuff.

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@bathina wrote:

I would make sure my entryway and everything in its line of sight was clean and clutter free. Then I would be sure my kitchen sink was spotless. I would also thoroughly clean the bathroom your guests will use.

As long as things your guests will first notice and touch i.e. sink faucets toilets and handles are clean, most guests aren't caring about decor.

@bathina    my "guest" bathroom is down stairs with the washer and dryer in the same place... there is a sink etc. I do not want people  using  my own bathroom.  Do you think that it is rude to have guests use the bathroom that is also a laundry room?  It is a nice room... but it is the laundry room/ bathroom.  I  do not know what else to do  as I do not want people in my private bathroom. 

@SeaMaiden, it is not rude at all to not want company using your private bathroom when you have a perfectly good guest bath.  I also like to burn a Yankee Candle in the scent "Linen", it's very fresh smelling and not overpowering at all.  Good luck and try not to worry!  Heart

Honored Contributor

The first thing I notice is scent and those odor cover up diffusers, sprays, scented candles... make me think the house is unclean. I agree with fresh flowers and baking cookies. Clear off surfaces and remove small unneeded furniture like foot stools, small shelves of nick knacks, if you have any.

Then go outside, imagine you are visiting, come back in looking around as though it's the first time. You will see it as they will and know if anything needs fixed. 

Honored Contributor

You're supposed to clean up for guests? Who knew.

Honored Contributor

Living in the woods, we have to watch the doorway for spider webs.  The front steps HAVE to be swept regularly because of the constant attack from twigs falling, in the fall, leaves AND twigs!  

I do think it is necessary from a point of hygiene to have a clean stove, oven, refrigerater, and workspaces on the countertop.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden  You have my sympathies. This is brutal...

Esteemed Contributor

Your home.  I would simply straighten up anything that is in the way.  I make sure my kitchen is clear of clutter.  I put away pots, dishes.  (I wash them).  I also make sure the coumtertops do not have excess things on them.   I just want to make room.  

The bedrooms, I make sure the beds are made. The bathrooms, I rinse the sinks, straighten the towels. 

I declutter the front hallway where people enter.  

Just the simple stuff so there is room.  

And honestly as much as I like people, I don't really like company more than a few days. 

Valued Contributor

Try not to stress.  Easier said than done.

I notice clutter and smell first.  Your home is your home and it's the way you like it - that's all that really matters. 

As long as the bathroom is clean and people don't have to move things to sit down, you should be fine.  LOL

Light a candle, open the windows, make it smell fresh.  

Honored Contributor

What I notice is surfaces and windows.   

Windows washed and surfaces free of any dust.  No dusty mirrors or pictures/picture frames.

Vacuum the floors.

Clutter doesn't bother me ... in fact I like it when there is "stuff" around that reflects the people living there.  My sister is a minimalist ... her house is clean and neat ... but looks "sterile" because it doesn't look lived in.

Honored Contributor

I hope that you and your guests have a wonderful visit and try not to think about anything else...just sit back and enjoy.They must want your company or they wouldn’t be stopping by.