Respected Contributor

Re: When You walk into someone's home for the first time....

[ Edited ]

I am 100% not in a position to throw stones at ANYONE in terms of a clean home, so I don't. Dishes in the sink? Don't care. Clutter on the tables? It just tells me someone lives there. I'm there to visit my friend, not critique her cleaning habits. I'm just happy to have good friends.  

That said, I was once at a party thrown by a single guy in his late 30s and I would have guessed he was 21 and living in a dorm. When I went to use the bathroom, I had to look for more toilet paper, pull some soap out of the shower because there was none at the sink, and dry my hands on my pants. There was also nothing non-alcoholic to drink except Diet Coke and tap water. That was beyond the pale and THAT I did judge - and still do, 8 years later.

Respected Contributor

I notice smell, dirty dishes in sink, clutter. Haven’t had company other than son, in years.

Valued Contributor

The only thing I notice is the bathroom. It should be clean with fresh hand towels and liquid soap or a new bar of soap. I would stay away from using diffusers or spray scents in the house as some people are highly allergic to those sprays and could end up having sneezing fits or a headache. Don't overthink this too much. Pick up clutter ( newspapers, magazines etc ) and be sure kitchen counters aren't filled with papers etc. You'll be good to go. 

Honored Contributor

I really don't notice or judge.  I am there for the company of the people and who they are!  I would notice cute items like stuffed animals and decorations they have though.  

Respected Contributor

I don't hang out with judgemental people....they are coming to see me, not inspect my home....

Respected Contributor

oh, I might add, my home is always clean and I always have fresh baked goods..thats just how I roll :-)

Trusted Contributor

Of course we don't know these people like you do but I would just clean well.  I think when people come only for a few hours what you serve them to eat and drink is more important than what your home looks like.  You could take them out to eat if they will be there at meal time.

Otherwise,    just put out some snacks and offer them drinks both alcoholic and non-alcoholic.   Maybe pie and ice cream as another treat also.

Light a few candles in the evening if you have some. They add a nice ambiance!  Most of all try and relax! Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

I only notice the smells and if the home is generally in order.

We have a lot of people stopping by....so our home is pretty much always picked up and clean. I am a neat nut so I don't really worry about it.

Respected Contributor

Treat yourself to a professional cleaning person......the stress it will remove from the situation will be worth every penny. 

Get some freshly cut flowers, have some simple snacks and beverages and enjoy yourself.

My homes have revolving doors with people in and out all the time.....they are not allowed to visit my bathroom or bedroom or bring pets . 

Honored Contributor

I look for the people, see if they have pets, if I don't know, and usually head to the kitchen to talk and help.