Honored Contributor

Re: When You walk into someone's home for the first time....

To all who posted.. wow you make me feel better.  So when YOU ALL go to someone elses home you do not in your head see things that are  by your standards messy  or dirty and make judgements?  

I would hope I would not.... but I have not visited someone's home in  a long time.  That is why I guess I worry. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think most people are judgemental, and hopefully yur guests won't be either. I'd just do the basic cleaning. I'd also remove magazines and newspapers that sometimes accumulate and can make a place look cluttered. ...maybe put out a few new scented diffusers. And relax....try to enjoy your company for a few hours! Sometimes what we anticipate turns out to be the exact opposite!

Esteemed Contributor

Declutter the living room and kitchen, especially of papers, magazines, etc.

Buy new hand soap and hand towels for the bathroom. Make that room super clean and decluttered. Replace the toilet seat if needed.

Bake chocolate chip cookies- the break and bake kind in the dairy section are fine. Make coffee. The smells of baked cookies and coffee mask a lot of unpleasant odors and you can offer the food and drink to your guests.

Whenever you can, open the windows and let fresh air in,

Clean the kitchen sink and counters and the bathroom an hour or two prior to their arrival.

Do you have a pet or pets? Get ALL the pet hair up and remove, don't mask, as much pet odor as possible.

Run a laundry load of whites with a little Clorox bleach. Place the wash in the dryer just before your guests arrive. Nothing like the smell of clean cotton!

Try to enjoy your guests. You don't have  to clean the whole house, but you should always keep the public spaces of your house clean and well maintained.

They will be gone soon enough. Who cares if they judge your home? so what?

You will me fine. Give it your best, then relax and smile.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden  Over the years of posting, we gain a sense of who people are on the board.  I have always thought of you as a kind, considerate, and sharing person,  When someone visits your home, these are the qualities that will be noticed by visitors.  Yes, your home will "be clean and smell good" so I doubt there will be little critical judgement as to your home (and if there is, that is their critical flaw).  You might want to sit quietly for a few minutes and enjoy a cup of tea before they arrive (possibly asking if they would like some when they arrive).  You are prepared and think of this as a release from your former anxiety.  Remember that thought is very powerful....so let those thoughts be of a loving positive experience with these guests. Let us know how it goes!

Respected Contributor

Clean kitchen and bathroom, get some flowers, air out the place. Declutter or hide the clutter and you’re fine.

Serve something nice, even if it’s store bought on nice 

dishes.

Respected Contributor

I like to have a clean bathroom because i notice nasty cluttered bathrooms at other's homes like 20 shampoos sitting on the toilet tank. and yukky damp towels, no guest towels to use. I always put out fresh towels and and lquid soap.

I go around and de-clutter and run the vac around maybe dust.   I touch up the stove top and kitchen sink and declutter the counter top (2 dozen breads and rolls the hub eats)  The end of kitchen table is a dumping ground  by this guy who lives here lol . This gets cleaned.  I am tired of cleaning up after him . He leaves the mail, packages, his CVS Rxs,  empty bags, his baseball caps, stuff to recycle, tools,  grocery flyers...

TBH when my former inlaws used to visit I would do the real cleaning after they left! esp the bathrooms . They were quite a big family

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't have an issue if my host introduced me to the guest bathroom. Not at all. As long as it's clean. I do have an issue with soap scum and hair, etc accumulated in sinks and around faucets, etc. I always wash my hands after using the toilet, so I notice that. I also notice a dirty toilet. I don't mind someone else's clutter or judge how they decorate or not.

The advice in this thread is excellent and nothing so intensive that you can't accomplish it in a couple of days. Then you can relax and enjoy your company!

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden

Why worry or have anxiety about something that probably won't happen?

With that said, I notice three things when I walk into someones' home. 

1.  The smell

2.  How clean it is

3.  How organized it is (cluttered or not)

And if I have to look out someone's windows, I do notice if they are clean or not.  Probably because I clean mine twice a year and I always dust the inside and outside of my sills every week.  Dirt makes me crazy.  And I always have windows open (I even crack them for about 20 minutes in the dead of winter to get fresh air in my home every week.  Otherwise you just keep breathing the same old air). 

Clutter makes me crazy, too.  I like organization.  In my home.  In my work space.  I don't understand how people have such disaray around them.  I'm just fussy I guess.  And I like it that way Smiley Happy

Relax about your guests.  Just enjoy your time.  It's your house.  Who cares what they think?  Have fun Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden@Generally tidy and reasonably clean equals good to go.A warm welcome and happy visit are much more important.I think your guests will be happy with their time in your home if you make them feel welcome...I always worry too but I try to remember that a person visits me and not my home.

Respected Contributor

Just remember the people are coming to visit you not your home. Cleaning your house so that it looks and smells nice is enough. They are not coming to inspect all they want is to feel welcome and to be comfortable in your home. You need to just relax and enjoy having them and you might find you really do have a good time visiting with them. Don't overthink it and just be in the moment.