Honored Contributor

When You walk into someone's home for the first time....

What is it you notice that needs to be fixed or cleaned or..... In other words...

I have company coming to visit ( have not had anyone in my home as company for 25 years to visit)  and I just want to know what I need to de clutter and clean the most.

I know people are very judgemental and usually THINK TO THEM SELVES   how disgusting someone elses house  mess is.... 

They will only be in the front room upstairs area... ( not bedrooms and such)

They will use the guest bathroom down stairs if need be( not our personal bathrooms)

They will only be visiting for a few hours( not over night.)

I would sure like to know besides just CLEANING REAL GOOD..... and having the place SMELL good.... What else I should worry about.  I do not have a fancy decorated updated home.  It is just comfortable for us. That is all I care about. But with company( people I do not really know at all) I feel that I am going to be judged. 

I hate having visitors..... but I have no choice in the matter this time.

Thanks so much!  I have a lot of anxiety over this and they are not going to be here until July 9th. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: When You walk into someone's home for the first time....

@SeaMaiden Hi SeaMaiden. Having company is usually anxiety provoking for me as well. It does force me to clean up our everyday messes. The first thing I notice in someone's house is clutter, especially if there is a lot of it. Not everything needs to be put away. As I say to my husband, "This isn't a museum, we live here. The house has a lived in look to it." My kitchen is the dumping ground for everything: Mail, keys, papers, etc. If your kitchen and bathrooms are decluttered, that is what counts, IMHO. Remember, most people's houses don't look perfect. Enjoy your company, that is what's important.

Honored Contributor

I would just dust and vacuum a little, and not make any major changes.   It's YOUR HOME.....not theirs.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden, I understand you being so anxious about this, I am the same way, I am sure your home is just fine and just needs a little cleaning, try not to worry too much!

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden.....I suggest that you take a few deep breaths and realize that the judgment is theirs.... the home is yours.  If you are happy there, then that is what matters.  A welcoming attitude is the most important thing, IMO.  

Others look at our home.... however, they may just be curious.  I know when I visit someone's home I want to learn more about the person, to see how they decorate.  I consider being a guest in their home a gift to me.... 

Hoping things go well for you....(((hugs)))

Respected Contributor

I would make sure my entryway and everything in its line of sight was clean and clutter free. Then I would be sure my kitchen sink was spotless. I would also thoroughly clean the bathroom your guests will use.

As long as things your guests will first notice and touch i.e. sink faucets toilets and handles are clean, most guests aren't caring about decor.

Honored Contributor

The only person that I have as a guest for any length of time is my best friend. She thinks my old house is charming, LOL. My home is not updated, but as long as it is clean , cozy and welcoming, I never worry about what others think. Enjoy your visit.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I would just dust and vacuum a little, and not make any major changes.   It's YOUR HOME.....not theirs.

@Desertdi  I WISH  I could just do this.... but I feel I need to have things special and much nicer...... that is why I hate having people over.

Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

I would make sure my entryway and everything in its line of sight was clean and clutter free. Then I would be sure my kitchen sink was spotless. I would also thoroughly clean the bathroom your guests will use.

As long as things your guests will first notice and touch i.e. sink faucets toilets and handles are clean, most guests aren't caring about decor.

@bathina    my "guest" bathroom is down stairs with the washer and dryer in the same place... there is a sink etc. I do not want people  using  my own bathroom.  Do you think that it is rude to have guests use the bathroom that is also a laundry room?  It is a nice room... but it is the laundry room/ bathroom.  I  do not know what else to do  as I do not want people in my private bathroom. 

Super Contributor

I agree with everything the other posters have mentioned, but for me the first impression I have is whether it’s a house or a home.  There are beautiful houses everywhere, but I would much rather spend time with someone in a home.  Forget the fancy decorations and updates, just let the guests see the love and comfort in your home and all will be well.