Honored Contributor

Re: When/Why Did You Start Watching QVC?

My oldest sister used to watch Q and other shopping channels back in the 80's.  I honestly thought they were tacky. 

Once she bought my young daughter a suitcase for overnighters at friends and I think that was what made me think it was tacky. 

But other than that, my sister has great taste.  She could find something *elegant* in a KMart-- I swear!

She came to visit back in 1995 to go to a wedding.  When she left for the wedding, I thought she smelled so good.  The scent stayed in the house long after they left for the wedding.

So I went into the guest room and saw a bottle of perfume on the dresser.  I looked at the name....TOVA.  

I called every department store in the area (no googling back then) and asked if they had TOVA.  No after no after no.  

So I went back into the room and looked at the bottle again.  On the bottom was an 800 number.  I called it and they answered something like 'Thank you for calling QVC'.  

UGH!  I hung up immediately.  Ewww QVC.  How tacky!

But the scent kept haunting me and I ended up falling in love with the perfume and watched QVC faithfully for years....long before I thought of ordering online, I'd call in orders over the phone all the time.  From mattresses to jewelry to makeup.

I rarely watch QVC any more, but do look online at different things.  I only purchase about 2-3 items a year, if that.  I still love TOVA Platinum as the TOVA Signature just isn't the same as it was.

I have lots of really pretty pieces of jewelry from the shopping channels, I especially like ShopHQ.  Never really got into HSN, but did enjoy Suzanne Somers back in the day w/Colleen.  

I feel like QVC is the best of the shopping channels and don't even know why.  Although I don't know half of the hosts any more (Lisa R was my favorite--hands down).

I do appreciate that they have these forums.Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not sure when I started watching, but its been a long time. I think my first purchase was a diamonique ring. I don't have it anymore.

Respected Contributor

@Xivambala wrote:

I first found QVC in 1992 after getting my degree for Radiography and moving to an apartment across the street from Weiss Memorial Hospital in Chicago. There wasn't cable there but some type of free local city stations that I recall that I received on the TV. Shopping TV was totally new to me. I didn't have a car then so it was convenient to shop this way. My first purchase was a 14kt lavender Diamonique 5-stone band ring that I still have. 

@Xivambala 

My friend was an olcology nurse at Weiss in the late 80's and lived probably in the same apt building you did. 

Respected Contributor

I started watching in the early 90's when my DH would work nights. I also watched HSN which was super cheesy and you never knew what the actual price was b/c they kept lowering it until I guess the phones started ringing. They did something like "tootie" with a horn.  So bad.

I rarely buy anything but I bought a 14k diamonique TSV pendant 20+ years ago and a 3 stone diamonique necklace in platinum over ss (forgot what they call that). Both held up 

wonderful (I don't wear jewelry in the shower).  

Also when silver wasn't expensive I bought a chunky silver bracelet for $35 in the silver rush show.  Good deal.

When I first started watching Suzanne Somers was on Q with Kathy Levine and she had her trilliant bracelet in 14k gold for $500.  I think SS soon left for HSN

Valued Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

@Xivambala wrote:

I first found QVC in 1992 after getting my degree for Radiography and moving to an apartment across the street from Weiss Memorial Hospital in Chicago. There wasn't cable there but some type of free local city stations that I recall that I received on the TV. Shopping TV was totally new to me. I didn't have a car then so it was convenient to shop this way. My first purchase was a 14kt lavender Diamonique 5-stone band ring that I still have. 

@Xivambala 

My friend was an olcology nurse at Weiss in the late 80's and lived probably in the same apt building you did. 

@scatcat 

That was the Silberman Building. The hospital used the first 5 floors for their business and rented the rest for apatments to employees. It was nice to walk to work in 5-10 mins. 

Honored Contributor

(thread title)

When? In the late '80's. Why? Because my wife watched it. Thus I saw some Electronics/Fitness Equipment and those things interest me.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote

I remember one thing Lisa Robertson got me to buy, early on.  It is a 14k gold and lapis bracelet.  I remember her saying (not verbatim) - if you don't pick this one up you'll be sorry later.    That didn't sell me, as I'm not that impressionable.  But I liked the bracelet and bought it.  I definitely was glad I did.  Smiley Happy  It's a very nice bracelet with the lapis links a curved long  rectangle with 14k gold caps and gold links between the lapis links.  It really is a nice bracelet.

@chickenbutt 

I have THAT bracelet.  No idea who was on Air when I purchased.  It is a nice bracelet.

Started watching when it was CVM,  I was working full time and going to school full time, no time to shop.  Lots of nice pices, well made, fresh, and natural fabrics.  Don’t watch any longer, but occasionally pick up something here and there.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Around 2005 or 2006 - I was by myself on a Saturday cleaning the house. I sat down for a break and started flipping through the channels. It was a beauty day. Mally was selling her Starlight eyeliners. I'd never heard of her. Then Laura Geller came on with Pink Grapefruit. I'd never heard of her either. I called and ordered both of them. And both are still my favorites!

I "found" QVC a little before. I couldn't find a place here that sold anything but the basic Birkenstocks. I was used to more. So I looked it up online. I couldn't believe the choices! I called the number and ordered 3 pairs, then left and didn't go back for a while. I really didn't know what QVC was at the time!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow, that was so long ago, I haven't got the foggiest idea.  I can be pretty foggy too. LOL

Respected Contributor

I think it was the mid-90's.  Don't watch much anymore.