Esteemed Contributor

Re: When/Why Did You Start Watching QVC?

@World Traveler : I think it was one of the very first clothing items ever presented: a white sweatshirt with chambray western-style trim and fringe across the yoke, as I recall.. 

Long gone, but I do recall getting compliments when wearing it on the weekends.

I did hold off ordering for a while after I started watching.

I also remember that my first purchase from HSN was a wooden jewelry box.

Honored Contributor

I am amazed at everyone's memory!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have no idea when (or why) I started watching.  It's been many years, but no signficant event attached.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

1986 right at the start.  It was originally CVN in my area,  which was excellent, and then QVC, which was also very good for many years.   They had AMAZING QC, very innovative items that you didn't see elsewhere and great designers (even Italian imports - I still have some of those gorgeous sweaters which are timeless).  The TSVs were truly that, with incredibly reduced pricing.   
Then about the last 10-12 years or thereabouts, things went downhill......  nothing special and too many constantly repeated over priced house brands, and the great quality control was no longer there.  Too bad.  

Trusted Contributor

2004 - we had just moved to Green Bay Wi and got cable put in and I couldn't believe this station QVC that had the most beautiful jewelry and I started ordering and returning, ordering and returning, until I realized years later that the quality of the pieces were going down.  I did find some of the rings I had returned and regretted on Ebay but never have found everything.  I did find a Taxco bracelet on Ebay.  I'm still looking for those older pieces I returned.  QVC is not the same anymore IMO.

Respected Contributor

I started watching in the mid eighties.  You had to order during the presentation at that time.  I enjoyed the jewelry shows and Kathy Levine.  Well before CVN was purchased and Mary Beth joined the company.  I started watching because I didn't want to go out shopping after getting home from work.  Liked the variety of products and pricing.  It was early enough that you could purchase stock in the company.  First purchase was a gold bracelet.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

Two things I recall from shortly after I started watching (98-99) we that Mary Beth had just gotten Elizabeth and Jill was going to be having knee surgery.

I didn't even have the internet until June 99 so I actually had to call in to make orders when I first found QVC and ValueVision.  I don't recall when I happened upon HSN, but it was after I was watching both of the others.

Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Late 1980s when my last child was born. I left work for a few years. We'd flip between QVC and Sesame Street. I ordered Sport Savvy as first purchase.  

Sport Savvy was my favorite.  Denim & Co. was my next favorite.

Respected Contributor

I started watching in the early 90s. My first purchase was a wooden Santa craft item brought in by Phyliss George. It was very clever, and very well made.

Then I got hooked on Susan Graver (finally--something I could wear!), and my addiction continues for all sorts of things.

QVC has brought me happiness.

Frequent Contributor

I started watching HSN first, with my Mother, before QVC started.  At that time, HSN had "Tootie" and they honked a horn when the prices went down!  Then, we watched QVC from the start.  Lots of great memories with my mother, who ordered lots from both companies until she died in 2005. 

Respected Contributor

Living in a small town  of 5000. I got to see what was new and in the market. If Q said it was a good product I believed them figuring the test of time and sales. Hosts explained and presented  products, unlike most of them today. They measured jewelry with the Q ruler.   I learned alot of information and tips using products.  Now Q is late to the game usually with the new and different. 

My first purchase was in 1986, a silver heart pin on CVN. Today's Special were exciting and I'd stay up to see what it was most nights as could be sold out by morning! My ex used to tie up the phone line playing on the computer and get annoyed when I wanted to use the phone to call in before a "sell out." I spoke to Lee Sands and Pat once and got to spin the wheel for a $30 credit.