Esteemed Contributor

When/Where Did You Meet Your BFF?

[ Edited ]

For me it is in 2004, in a new job.  I always walked during my breaks and lunch and so did she.  She came up to me one day and introduced herself to me and it was like instant friendship. 

She is the kindest, nicest person I have ever known.  She has never said a bad word about anyone, and I wish I could say the same about myself but I can't!

We get so silly together.  We take frequent road trips and just have a good time wherever we are.  And we sing too; we do a mean I Say A Little Prayer!

Edit:  I should have said, I have never heard her say a bad word about anyone.

Honored Contributor

Re: When/Where Did You Meet Your BFF?

[ Edited ]

I met my bff 37 years ago when I was a 21 year old new college graduated just starting my first real job.  She was my supervisor.  She was my hero almost from the very beginning.  She was 40ish and so different from all the middle aged women I'd been exposed to in my middle class, middle income little town.  She was single and independant and loved her life!  She drove a red convertible and wore the coolest clothes I'd ever seen and had gorgeous shoulder length hair that she colored every couple of months....and she didn't pretend she didn't!  LOL.  Big hair, short skirts, high heels...but....she was  smart as a whip!  She knew everything about everthing in our office and our profession  and  she didn't pretend otherwise.  She was so confident.  She became my mentor and I worshipped her from afar...lol   A couple of years later, I got married and quit work to raise my family but we remained close, that's when we became real friends.  We were so different in every way but she shared her "single life" and her career experiences with me and I shared my family life and children with her.  We got to live vicariously through each other, I think    She became part of our family, more like a sister to me than either of my real sisters.  She's Godmother to both my girls and still the nicest, most giving woman I know.  I still want to be her when I grow up....  

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I met my bff 37 years ago when I was a 21 year old new college graduated just starting my first real job.  She was my supervisor.  She was my hero almost from the very beginning.  She was 40ish and so different from all the middle aged women I'd been exposed to in my middle class, middle income little town.  She was single and independant and loved her life!  She drove a red convertible and wore the coolest clothes I'd ever seen and had gorgeous shoulder length hair that she colored every couple of months....and she didn't pretend she didn't!  LOL.  Big hair, short skirts, high heels...but....she was  smart as a whip!  She knew everything about everthing in our office and our profession  and  she didn't pretend otherwise.  She was so confident.  She became my mentor and I worshipped her from afar...lol   A couple of years later, I got married and quit work to raise my family but we remained close, that's when we became real friends.  We were so different in every way but she shared her "single life" and her career experiences with me and I shared my family life and children with her.  We got to live vicariously through each other, I think    She became part of our family, more like a sister to me than either of my real sisters.  She's Godmother to both my girls and still the nicest, most giving woman I know.  I still want to be her when I grow up....  

Thank you for sharing that, @chrystaltree.  My next to BFF was also my supervisor at one point, and is several years younger.  She and I had an unusual boss/employee relationship; I could tell her anything and give her advice about dealing with other employees.  She is an extreme extrovert and I am a fairly extreme introvert but it works.

Respected Contributor

i met my bff at the bus stop when were in 8th grade.  she's so beautiful inside and out.  she's intelligent and kind and has a level head.   we've both experienced awful tragedies, she more than me, and still she wanted to protect me. 

i love her so much it makes me tear up.  we will always be bffs until we are both gone.

Honored Contributor

I met my BFF through work.  We lived in different states and she traveled to my state often in the early days.  We met in 1983.  She relocated 6 times with the company and I relocated 3 times.  We lived/worked in the same state once.  She passed from cancer two years ago.  I have a big hole in my heart that will never heal.  So many times I've wanted to call her.  I talk with her husband and we reminisce what she would have said.  She was smart, funny, and everyone wanted to be her friend.  She worked in an all male department and forged the way for female managers.

Honored Contributor

In 1991 I met my BFF when she came to the hospital where I was working  to do locums as a CRNA. She would come for a month at a time, sometimes longer ( we always needed temp staff )  Anyway she and her DH live in North Carolina, and we visit back and forth, but  even though we live in different states, we talk at least twice a week, and email all of the time. She can make me laugh like nobody else, and we always have something to talk about. She is the best.❤

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@ladyroxanne There's nothing better than a BFF!  I think the reason I have been thinking about mine tonight is she recently lost an older brother and sister within months of each other; and in the case of her brother, under tragic circumstances.  She showed such strength through it and I just admire her so much. 

Esteemed Contributor

I met my BFF when our sons entered kindergarten-that was over 30 years ago.  She immediately became part of my family.  She passed away unexpectedly last month.  I am so very sad and feel so lonely.  Treasure every moment you have with your BFF.....

Esteemed Contributor

@GCR18 I am so sorry for your loss.  I can't imagine how painful that was for you.  You were both so fortunate to have that friendship.

Esteemed Contributor

@nana59My deepest sympathies to you on the loss of your best friend. They can't be replaced, but they make us better people for having known them, IMHO.