Honored Contributor

When Was The Last Time

[ Edited ]

....you were in your grandmother's house?

I loved the cottage that looked over to Grove Park Inn.  I had not a clue being 6 years old.  

She had a rose garden behind the house.  Unfortunately, she bought a duplex and moved before I got much older.  I would love to have that house!

Even though it was in the 50's, and I could have only been 6, I remember she and I walked in the rose garden behind the house and cut roses.

This is the architect's water color which hangs in our bedroom. 

It looks over a golf course to Grove Park Inn.

20201117_210642.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  The picture of your grandmother's  house is remarkably like my grandmother's!

She lived in Hilton Village, Va which was the first planned community in the United States. The village was built for shipyard workers during World War 1. The houses are white Stucco with slate roofs. 
   The slope of the roof is the same except she has a small front porch and kept plants there. The doorbell was a wind up ringer. 
  She also, like your grandmother had a rose garden in her backyard. I recall when I was small she would put a rose petal on her hand and blow it to make it pop! 

Garages weren't attached and she never drove. Everything was within walking distance. Grocery stores, drug stores, a theater and Rose's 5 & 10. 
  I lived two blocks away in a duplex and my other grandmother lived next door. 
   There are wonderful memories of my grandmother's houses! 
                 🏘 🏡 🏠

Trusted Contributor

What a dream cottage! I would love it. It's so nice you have the water color.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  My grandmother was born in 1880 and died in 1977. She loved gardening and dug her vegetable garden with a shovel every year until the year she died.  She loved her flowers! We lived nearby, and Mom would send me up for lettuce and whatever Grammy wanted to give us. When I was in college, Grammy would talk to me about what authors I was studying. She said, "Good girls don't read Walt Whitman." Her house was peaceful and full of her long life.

Hannah.jpg

Honored Contributor

No warm fuzzy feelings to report here.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

No warm fuzzy feelings to report here.  

@Sooner 

So sorry.  You're so lovely, your personality was influenced by someone.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

My grandma lived a few blocks over from us in an almost identical row house in Baltimore City. 90 feet long, 12 feet wide. Last time I was in the original home was about 20  years ago before my aunt sold it. She lived with her after her husband died. I miss it so much. Always a warm, loving, welcoming home. Always smelled like patchouli. And chicken soup. So many beautiful memories there from my childhood. The person who purchased it gutted it and totally renovated And modernized it. While it was pretty, it wasn’t the same cozy home that was built in 1910. You can just imagine the difference. But we have pictures and memories, just as many of you do.

Honored Contributor

Last time for me was the early sixties. My Grandparents had the house for years as my Mother grew up there. It was two hundred years old then. Built by a wealthy family as it had servants quarters in the big attic and back stairways into the children's quarters then down to the first floor. No servants in my Grandmothers time in the home. When she died it was sold and torn down. I think that's why I love old houses.

Valued Contributor

@ECBG: That looks like a lovely home. I've entered pics of the home I lived in with my grandparents in Park Ridge, IL in the late 50's - early 60's. The first picture is how it looked back then, and the second is a recent one. These were the best years of my life living with them and all my aunts an uncles. Eventually everyone went their separate ways. My grandparents downsized to an apartment and trailer home thereafter. This house is well over 100 years old and is very well taken care of. I'm in Florida now, and would give anything to knock on the front door, introduce myself, and ask for a tour even though you can 'never go back home'.

50's PRHouse.jpg

ParkRidge.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Xivambala 

Your former home is right at the period of Arts and Crafts.  It's a beauty.

My grandmother was the shining star in my life from the time I remember.  She was my dad's mother, and they both had dark hair, her eyes were brown, his green.

She was also the highest business woman here.  I watched her intently.  She was a tall beauty born in 1900.  I lost her in 1977.  We were SO close, I kept passing out.

I would give anything to have that house but it's a little over $1,000,000.