Respected Contributor

Re: Whats a thoughtful gift for

The last months before my husband retired from many years of practice the front desk had a hidden leather journal. As patients checked out they asked if they would write a few (or many) words about him. He was presented it at his retirement party.

He treasures it beyonds words. He had no idea the depth of some of his patients regard or gratitude. It is easier to write things than to say them sometimes.

Honored Contributor

@Walkers Grammy wrote:

a gift that will continue to give is a goat! We use goats for the old goat...they are given to families in south sudan....it would be something that will be used and appreciated...

Don't do it, the goats are mistreated and neglected. Giving a live animal to someone you don't know and have no way of trusting the animal will get proper care is inhumane. Don't believe there website with the pretty pictures look further.

Valued Contributor

He is actually a simple man. His whole life was dedicated to his work and his family so he never made time for himself or have hobbies. He is old fashioned but in a good way, he's got amazing work ethic and i admire him so much. I love him lots and wanna do something really memorable for him. If we do a bed and breakfast trip for them, we worry that they might not want to go by themselves because they dont do trips alone especially if it involves long drives. 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Valued Contributor

@mintedrose wrote:

He is actually a simple man. His whole life was dedicated to his work and his family so he never made time for himself or have hobbies. He is old fashioned but in a good way, he's got amazing work ethic and i admire him so much. I love him lots and wanna do something really memorable for him. If we do a bed and breakfast trip for them, we worry that they might not want to go by themselves because they dont do trips alone especially if it involves long drives. 

@mintedrose

He sounds like a wonderful person.  Not knowing what type of area they are in, urban, country, mountain, coastal, perhaps you could find something about an hour away driving time...would that be too long?  Or maybe a trip to a nearby city to stay in a hotel where they could be dropped off & picked up by you and/or your husband and use taxi cabs to get around to restaurants, theaters, museums, etc.  And just another thought...not knowing your situation/family needs/work schedules...could you join them on a couples trip for a couple days when convenient for all of you so there is no need for them to worry about driving?  Even possibly getting a 2 bedroom suite?  Joining in on his retirement celebration would be a very memorable occassion for them because it would be with family he dedicated his life to!  Hoping you find or do something wonderful for him!