Respected Contributor

Re: Whatever Happened to The Days

@rms1954 "When neighbors gave a helping hand to those that need it????  I was out shoveling the driveway (or trying) three times today.  Guy across the street was snow blowing his driveway, guy next door same thing.  I can remember when people would offer their help to those older people struggling.  My father would have told my brother to go do it for a neighbor.  No more.  It's everyone for themselves."

Did you ask them for help?  I live in a condominium complex and have tried to help elderly neigbors and their responses have been no thank you and I don't want to be obligated to anyone.  Since then I only help when I am asked. 

Valued Contributor

Times and circumstances have changed in many ways but I don’t believe that means people today are necessarily selfish. I live in a subdivision on a hill with a long driveway and have had a plow service for 30 years. Even with that, we had considerable shoveling in front of the garage and on our walkway. DH always took care of it until his health declined a few years ago. My plowman graciously offered to do this for free but I always give him an extra $100 at Christmas time.We are just so grateful for the great service.

I couldn’t imagine expecting a neighbor to take this on. With a big snowfall it’s very time consuming. I see the young people waiting for the school bus at 7:30 am in the dark and their parents leaving for demanding jobs with many responsibilities. They are very good neighbors who were thoughtful in other ways during DH’s illness. I know everyone’s situation is different but there are still many good people out there.

Honored Contributor

@lgfan wrote:

@rms1954 "When neighbors gave a helping hand to those that need it????  I was out shoveling the driveway (or trying) three times today.  Guy across the street was snow blowing his driveway, guy next door same thing.  I can remember when people would offer their help to those older people struggling.  My father would have told my brother to go do it for a neighbor.  No more.  It's everyone for themselves."

Did you ask them for help?  I live in a condominium complex and have tried to help elderly neigbors and their responses have been no thank you and I don't want to be obligated to anyone.  Since then I only help when I am asked. 

No I didn't ask for help.

Honored Contributor

@nevergivesup wrote:

Times and circumstances have changed in many ways but I don’t believe that means people today are necessarily selfish. I live in a subdivision on a hill with a long driveway and have had a plow service for 30 years. Even with that, we had considerable shoveling in front of the garage and on our walkway. DH always took care of it until his health declined a few years ago. My plowman graciously offered to do this for free but I always give him an extra $100 at Christmas time.We are just so grateful for the great service.

I couldn’t imagine expecting a neighbor to take this on. With a big snowfall it’s very time consuming. I see the young people waiting for the school bus at 7:30 am in the dark and their parents leaving for demanding jobs with many responsibilities. They are very good neighbors who were thoughtful in other ways during DH’s illness. I know everyone’s situation is different but there are still many good people out there.

I didn't expect it, just thought it would be a nice gesture to at least get the end cleared so I could get out to the road.  The plows come by and pile it up there.  It's all good.  I was able to do it but it was very difficult for me.  

Valued Contributor

@rms1954 I wasn’t directing my response to you personally. I was just adding to the general conversation about changing times and the character of people.

Under the circumstances you described I agree it would have been the kind thing to do to help you clear out the mouth of your driveway especially when your neighbors were already right out there doing their own. I’m glad you were able to manage  it but I’m sure it wasn’t easy. My arthritic hands have rendered me pretty useless. Frustrating when you have always been independent. Let’s hope for a mild winter!

Honored Contributor

I'm just in a different mindset. I surely wouldn't expect a neighbor to snowblow my property based on my age. Woman Surprised

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@nevergivesup wrote:

@rms1954 I wasn’t directing my response to you personally. I was just adding to the general conversation about changing times and the character of people.

Under the circumstances you described I agree it would have been the kind thing to do to help you clear out the mouth of your driveway especially when your neighbors were already right out there doing their own. I’m glad you were able to manage  it but I’m sure it wasn’t easy. My arthritic hands have rendered me pretty useless. Frustrating when you have always been independent. Let’s hope for a mild winter!

All good.  it wasn't easy but hey, who said life was easy.  I just try to be helpful and kind to others in need when I see it.  Yes to a mild winter.  I'm ready for Spring.  Have  nice day.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I'm just in a different mindset. I surely wouldn't expect a neighbor to snowblow my property based on my age. Woman Surprised

Again I didn't expect it, it just got me thinking is all.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My dad was a good example. When it snowed he hired a guy who plowed us out and Dad told him to also plow out our next door neighbor. ALWAYS!

Dad took to heart the teaching to TAKE CARE OF THE WIDOWS AND ORPHANS, and those who are older and live alone.

My husband is also a person like this. Heart

Life is short. Help others. Look around and see how you can be a blessing to others (even if you don't believe in the Supreme Power).

Helping others -- it just makes good sense. Sometime it will be YOU who needs help.

Heart Solar Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Hubbs always says he has to plow our driveway so going a few more miles to plow other is no biggie.