Honored Contributor

Re: Whatever Happened to The Days

It depends in where you live and who your neighbors are.  And the past wasn't all that rosy.  Did you ask them if they could help you out?  Sometimes people don't want to assume that someone wants help.  

Trusted Contributor

On our local news last night they showed a high school football team shoveling the driveways of several older residents in a town up north. Didn't get the location. Their HS coach had assigned this as part of their workout training...am sure it was quite the workout for those boys..but such a great lesson in teaching them to help others.....a win-win. What if every HS team did this? What a wonderful thing that would do for so many.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

A few years ago when everyone on our block got the newspaper delivered, a man who lived on the corner would go for a run early in the morning and throw everyone's paper from the yard to the front door; what a kind and appreciated thing to do. No one knew who was doing it for the longest time until DH was leaving early for a trip and saw him.

I think it is a cultural thing. Many just aren't raised and taught to help others. Even in my sixties, I am happy to hold open the door for someone at the store, or even help load someone's car with their groceries. I did help an older man with his groceries last week. He could barely let go of the cart handle, so he was having a slo-go of trying to put his bags into his car. He thanked me over and over. I am just grateful I am able to help. I have had plenty of doors close in front of me and have had to stand up in an airport or waiting room that had no empty seats when young men or teenagers never even thought about offering their seat. Sadly, it's just the way it is now.