Esteemed Contributor

Re: Whatever Happened to The Days

@rms1954 wrote:

When neighbors gave a helping hand to those that need it????  I was out shoveling the driveway (or trying) three times today.  Guy across the street was snow blowing his driveway, guy next door same thing.  I can remember when people would offer their help to those older people struggling.  My father would have told my brother to go do it for a neighbor.  No more.  It's everyone for themselves.  

reading your post makes me sad.....

Super Contributor

This thing about helping neighbors with the snow blowing or shoveling is it really does not take much time and makes a big difference in someones day who finds it challenging or a stress to do it.  

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe no assistance was offered because they know you have a husband at home.

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

Maybe no assistance was offered because they know you have a husband at home.

Maybe, but I'm out there shoveling.   My car is the only one in the driveway and has been for weeks since he's out of town

Respected Contributor

I'm 70, don't expect or really want any help shoveling my very long driveway but what makes me laugh is when neighbors driving by stop & say so concerned, you shouldn't be shoveling Cat so I reply there's another shovel right over here...they hit the gas, zoom, they're gone & I muddle to myself, Thanks anyway, lol.

Honored Contributor

I hire the guy who mows in the summer to do my driveway in the winter. However, my neighbor next door always snowblows my front walk and up to my front steps  first thing. I really appreciate it, the snow was really heavy this time.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

We have have friends that live in another state and they were talking about how the wife does the outside work and he does the house cleaning. He's had  knee surgery because he installed carpet for forty years. But he worries that neighbors will think what the h@#l she has a husband why isn't he out there. We never know what's goion in someone else's life.

Honored Contributor

Sorry that happened to you.  We help others and they help us.  Two way street.

Esteemed Contributor

I've lived in my neighborhood for over 40 years and nobody has ever offered to help me shovel snow or blow leaves. No people come down the road even to be paid to do it. It takes me days to shovel and my snow Joe snowblower doesn't work on it. It hardly blows anything! 
  I have a yard service to do leaves now but blow my driveway between times, and the street where other neighbors blow theirs. 
  I shovel my steps, walks and long driveway or I'd never get out. Some people have planted areas too close to the road and mulched high so if we get bad snowstorms it won't be able to melt off the road. It can refreeze. 
   I hate snow! 
         🌨⛄️❄️😱😰🥶

Honored Contributor

Our neighbor across the street plows our driveway and his next door neighbors driveway. Has been doing this for quite awhile.