Esteemed Contributor

Re: What would you think?-Sorry, long

@cookinfreak  I agree with others that there is reason for concern.

However, you state that you may retire in 1 1/2 years.

First, don't talk about your age at your job (don't worry if you have done so in the past, nothing you can do about that now), and don't talk about retirement.  Talk about how much you love the company and your job and greeting customers or whomever as a receptionist, and whatever else you do.  Maybe think about things you could do better.  Raise the enthusiasm level.

Looking for a new job is hard, particularly for women close to retirement age.  Discrimination is rampant, but hard to prove.  Filing a case against your current employer (including an administrative complaint within the company) can suck the life out of you, because employers will find every little thing that is not perfect and bring it up.  So I would only do so the day I am ready to quit, so I can quit if I want to.  But make sure you are within the deadline of raising such claims. There can be employer and government deadlines.  I am assuming you don't belong to a union, and if I am mistaken, my advise may not be the right one.

Most of the time, it doesn't matter that they are treating others differently as long as they don't have your same exact job.  The way you are describing things in your workplace right now, it may not be good to complain about how other people are doing things, because in a non-union environment, most employers can let you go just because they don't like you for complaining, and they are, unfortunately, not required to be fair.  

So, if you think you would like to keep your job, I would comply with their demands re no over time, dress code and job description, and anything else that seems job related.  

Don't worry about the dress code request.  A back room worker is not the face of the company, but the receptionist is.  Think about that as you get ready every day.

Is that someone from accounting who requested the brief summary of your job duties authorized to make this request from you?  If I were you, I would check with my immediate supervisor, because that request should have come from her, or someone above her in the org chart, not an accounting person.  Don't worry no one else is in the email.  Yes, I would worry they are asking for this possibly so they can post the job.  If your boss knows nothing about this, tell her you will wait for her instructions before submitting it.  But maybe go ahead and have something drafted and ready to go.  Ask her if she wants to read it before submitting.  I wouldn't talk about the request with anyone else.

I don't see how they could have been reviewing you without a job description.  How were they evaluating your performance?  If they told you about specific things you do that they like, make sure to include that.  Make sure to include in that job description everything you do, but maybe not things that you do not want to do, so that you don't end up assigning yourself undesirable work. Also include something that you do that is important to the operation of the business, and, if possible, that no one else does.  Think about how what you do helps the company make money, and if you come up with something, make sure to include that.  Sometimes companies are just engaging in exercises that a consultant recommended, and that is a typical thing they would recommend, to evaluate every position, and would explain the sudden request for a job description.  But remember that, unless you are in a union, it is up to management to tell you what your job is, so they will most likely rewrite whatever you give them.  But the fact they rewrite the job is not grounds for firing unless they are asking you to do something you can't or won't do.

You state you can retire in 1 1/2 years, but don't state whether you want to.  If you think you want to continue working past that, I would start looking for a new job right now. Easier to look for a job while you are still employed.  The fact that you have to think about what you do for your job description can also help you in drafting a resume.

Best of luck!

Respected Contributor

Yes, many others have given good advice. Do your job, don't worry about other co-workers. They aren't your concern or worry. As a receptionist you should have been dressing nicely to begin with. No jeans. You are the first person outsiders see when they come to the company,as was stated in a previous post. You represent the company. The new dress code for you is fine. Do what ever they ask of you. Stick it out for the next 18 months. It will go by quickly.

Esteemed Contributor

Everyone must be treated the same in the workplace or there is a potential problem. Document everything.

Why do you have a separate dress code? There is no reason why a receptionist can’t wear jeans. You can look professional in a good pair of jeans.

I have been in and out of a lot of buildings, and everyone including the receptionist wore jeans.

Honored Contributor

Talk to HR

Esteemed Contributor

I am sorry that you are in such a position that the daily tasks are now being looked at under a microscope. I think when you started stating your observations about another emp!oyee, you opened the door for critiquing your performance. When I was working I found out very early on work politics is a deep hole to nowhere. Who knows why one person can do what they want and another employee is given a strict set of rules.

If you want to keep your job for the next 18 months, keep your head down your mouth shut and do your job..The less noise you make the better off you are in that environment. Please don't go to your supervisor and ask why you need to do a detailed list of your duties; just do it. Also, never mention you are going to retire in 18 months, that could be the final straw. Obviously, someone or something has set the stage for your current situation.  Try to keep a positive attitude and move forward. Wishing you well. 

Respected Contributor

I would try to "grin and bear it" as long as possible. Your scenario sounds all too familiar for many friends I know as they got closer to retirement. Avoid any mention of other employees' behavior and as another poster said, "keep your head down" and be a model employee. I hope things get better.

Trusted Contributor

@cookinfreak  I would like to offer another perspective on the request for you to provide a job description.  I am the director of a government agency and when I took over no one in the agency even had job descriptions. I did ask for input from my employees. I sent an email to each one asking them to list what they do, it sounds very similar to the request you got.

I don't always send emails in a group format, I have found that that frequently invites the dreaded reply all responses that can go on for days. There was no big motive behind my request other than simply creating their job descriptions with their input. It is also a good way to get the employee and the boss on the same page as to the employee's job duties.

I have also asked for input on updated job descriptions for another reason.  The employee may spend a bigger chunk of time doing a certain task than I realize that is good to know for multiple reasons. I have used that information to go before my board to get additional staff hired and also for pay increases for them. 

Hopefully what I have described is similar to what is actually happening at your job.  I know how stressful it is to work where you don't feel your job is stable. Even if there is an issue, just keep your eye on the prize 18 months away.

Regarding the overtime issue for both you and your coworker, I have to agree with others who said just simply do what you're told and don't worry about anyone else you work with.  Good luck!

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@cookinfreak - I think everyone here has given you good advice, so you'd be well-advised to take it.

I've seen this happen to too many women nearing retirement age, who suddenly don't get good reviews (after years of stellar reviews) and are always being picked up on some perceived transgression or another.

My own sister-in-law had this happen at a company where she had been an international comptroller for over 25 years.  She would've been eligible for permanent company healthcare within about six months and suddenly she was told they weren't happy with her work.  She could resign (to save face) or be fired for incompetence.

A coincidence that they had gotten rid of a few other "older" employees exactly the same way within the past year?  Not likely.

I urged her to file a wrongful dismissal lawsuit but she was just too traumatized by it all, as were the other longtime employees.  It's humiliating, as in her case, she was told this in front of other employees.  Deliberately blindsided.

Keep absolutely meticulous notes and copies of every bit of correspondence you receive.  And then, as others have said, keep your head down and do your job, if you want to stay on until you can retire.

Oh and don't do any extra overtime!  Do your regular hours.

Respected Contributor

I will also respond as a former administrator.  First, I totally dislike OT and it is NOT appropriate for employees to decide that they deserve it.  All OT should be preapproved in advance only for specific needs. Perhaps they are looking at budgets and are trying to figure out why you are earning so much OT.  If your supervisor says you cannot justify it, then listen to her/him. 

Comparing yourself to somebody else does not really resolve your own issues, and talking about that other employee was probably not well received. It sounds as if you do not really like your colleague.  If there are serious supervisory discrimination issues or misuse of OT, then you should have a confidential discussion with HR. Be aware that if your colleague is punished for her misuse of OT she may have an idea that you were the cause, so be cautious. IMO all OT should be eliminated unless there is an emergency situation.

Next, the dress code issue is not really clear.  Is there a written policy regarding jeans or is that up to the supervisor?  Maybe your supervisor wants your department to look more professional than the other departments. (Not always about you!)

Finally, job descriptions are important components.  The fact that you can write your own provides a lot of opportunity for you to really review everything you do and spell it out.  Maybe you are doing more than your pay category and deserve a raise!  Or maybe they are considering assigning more duties to the receptionist position.

Perhaps the person in accounting is not that busy right now, and has been assigned the task.  Job descriptions also mean they can post the job quickly, especially if people think you are considering retirement.

Hopefully things will work out well, and you can look forward to a happy retirement at your same job.

Esteemed Contributor

I want to respectfully disagree with the person that recommended you speak with HR based on the information that you have provided.  HR works for your employer, not for you, and at this point your employer has not taken what I would consider adverse action against you.  The request not to work OT and not to wear jeans are run of the mill things, minor,  The request to write your job duties is not adverse at all, though many of us think it could potentially be a sign of bad things to come.  But based on what you posted it is also likely it is not.  So I would handle as I described in my previous post.  

If you go to HR, your employer will treat you as a potential liability risk, and may start creating a record documenting whatever negative things they could come up with about you to defend any claims that you may bring.  HR is not there for you, it is there to protect your employer.  And they talk to management, regardless of what you may think.  I was in management for many years,

Many workplaces are not fair.

Best wishes for a happy outcome in this situation.