Honored Contributor

Re: What would you say? What would you do?

@patticakes 

All you need to say is "please do not return."  Then hire someone else to finish the job.  Don't make this more complicated than it needs to be.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

I would treat her the way I'd want to be treated. There's nothing wrong with feeling bad or considering the other person in situations. It just means you're a compassionate person.  

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Another poster who needs to put her big girl panties on and act like an adult.  This was a a business arrangement that the woman your hired to do reneged on. Kindness has no place in this and I don't why you feel terrible.  She should feel terrible because she accepted a job that she either could not or didn't want to do.  Send her a text or email that says. "Since you did not live up to the terms of our agreements, please do not return".  Sign your name and be done with her.

Really?  What planet are you on?  

Kindness in all things!

Honored Contributor

Why is this so difficult for you that you have to seek advice?  It should be a no-brainer.  You probably should have stopped her before she did as much damage as she did. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

If she thought she was comng back to finish - why did she remove all her stuff?  

I'd cancel and tell her that you need to have the bathroom fnished ASAP.  

Esteemed Contributor

@patticakes 

WWID?

Tell her that her services were no longer needed.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Another poster who needs to put her big girl panties on and act like an adult.  This was a a business arrangement that the woman your hired to do reneged on. Kindness has no place in this and I don't why you feel terrible.  She should feel terrible because she accepted a job that she either could not or didn't want to do.  Send her a text or email that says. "Since you did not live up to the terms of our agreements, please do not return".  Sign your name and be done with her.

Kindness in all things!

@Zhills I guess she and I occupy the same planet because we have become very tired of people promising something then not doing it, not showing up, leaving you hanging, trying to get by with a sub-par job and simply not willing to put forth effort.

Worse yet, people here to case the house or snooping around when they are supposed to be working.

And it is business and sometimes it is difficult to remember it is business not personal.  And being kind to a con man is an experience one doesn't easily forget.

So in this days, sometimes you need to be firmer or harder than you would like to protect yourself. It isn't easy to get anything done now. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Kindness in all things!

@Zhills I guess she and I occupy the same planet because we have become very tired of people promising something then not doing it, not showing up, leaving you hanging, trying to get by with a sub-par job and simply not willing to put forth effort.

Worse yet, people here to case the house or snooping around when they are supposed to be working.

And it is business and sometimes it is difficult to remember it is business not personal.  And being kind to a con man is an experience one doesn't easily forget.

So in this days, sometimes you need to be firmer or harder than you would like to protect yourself. It isn't easy to get anything done now. 

I so agree with your point of view!  However, to me, you can fire someone without being unkind!  Simply tell them the truth!

Hateful words can cut awfully deep and I don't feel they are ever necessary to accomplish a task!

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@patticakes  Don't over think this. Never mind about references, her work was terrible.

Text her that you are firing her and not to come back to your home. 

Did you have a signed contract? If not, it's over.

She shouldn't have come to your home while sick but she did and now she's done. End of story. I agree about calling BUT a text leaves a paper trail if you need proof that you contacted her.

I've seen this as proof a million times on The People's Court!

There is no way to prove a voice mail message.

@Love my grandkids   I concur wholeheartedly.  Regrets and social niceties are inappropriate.  This was a business arrangement.  Don't muddy the waters.   The less said the better. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I remember you having trouble before about your bathroom floor because I asked my husband if you can 'add grout' to existing grout.

You shouldn't do any more projects without a written estimate that has at the very least, the basics of the job description of what you want and what they'll do.  Price included.

I think I have more of a problem you letting someone in your home who 'acted weird' or was plainly sick---considering the state of the nation right now.  I'd wipe everything down, for one thing.

I wouldn't let her back.  I'd be tactful about it.  But having been general contractor before a couple of times, I've thrown people off the job, too.  Not politely.  I'll only tolerate so much....