Respected Contributor

Re: What would you say? What would you do?

Word to the wise. Be careful now. She may have been casing the joint for a return to do something more than wallpaper your bathroom! Acting weird? Like in high or drunk? Antenna up! 

Call her and don't text. If she doesn't pick up, leave a voicemail and then text your intent.

Good Luck

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patticakes  Don't over think this. Never mind about references, her work was terrible.

Text her that you are firing her and not to come back to your home. 

Did you have a signed contract? If not, it's over.

She shouldn't have come to your home while sick but she did and now she's done. End of story. I agree about calling BUT a text leaves a paper trail if you need proof that you contacted her.

I've seen this as proof a million times on The People's Court!

There is no way to prove a voice mail message.

Honored Contributor

Another poster who needs to put her big girl panties on and act like an adult.  This was a a business arrangement that the woman your hired to do reneged on. Kindness has no place in this and I don't why you feel terrible.  She should feel terrible because she accepted a job that she either could not or didn't want to do.  Send her a text or email that says. "Since you did not live up to the terms of our agreements, please do not return".  Sign your name and be done with her.

Respected Contributor

I am on the give her another chance side.  I think most of us have experienced feeling just fine, then all of a sudden, out of seemingly nowhere, being overcome by a flu, a virus, or whatever.  I have been at work, at my office, then suddenly the room started spinning, digestive issues from both ends, fever, one hand on the wall to hold myself up.  Called my husband to come and get me that day.  There's no way I would be able to perform a wallpaper job without creating a complete mess, despite any talent I may have.  Please be careful if you call it quits with her, I've seen court TV shows where someone may sue for payment of the hour(s) worked and cost of supplies used.

Respected Contributor

I would just say that you hope she feels better soon, just to be nice, but that due to time constraints you are moving forward with another crew.

Save photo's of the poor job as documentation for yourself, just in case. I don't think I would l criticise her work except to say it was clear her performance was challenged. Otherwise, it may open a Pandora's Box.

You don't know who you're dealing with. Her odd behavior may have been a medical condition, or it may be she has mental health issues.

And, don't feel bad about it. She obviously wasn't the one for the job. 

Valued Contributor

Thanks, everyone, for the advice.  No, we did not have a contract, just a couple of phone calls, a visit for an estimate and a return to do the job.  The referals were on web ad she had, not anyone I knew so they could have been falsified.  I thought it not only would be one and done but leaving a paper trail, as well, to text her.  I also have taken pictures and video.  I didn't mention before that now I will have to repurchase several double rolls of wallpaper to have it redone.  All in all, another lesson learned.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband has wallpapered many rooms for me over the years and he has done it for others.

I know 100% that if done correctly, glue does not get everywhere with water leaking from the seams.  It doesn't sound like she did a professional job.

Even years ago when wheat paste had to be applied to the back of the paper, it wasn't that messy.

I would just text or email her and say you could not wait any longer for the room to be finished and have found someone else to finish the job.  Thank her for her time and effort. i would not send pictures or mention my disappointment with her work.

Have you paid her anything yet?  She might bill you for her short time there.

Wow, you need to buy more double rolls of paper?  That is indeed an expensive lesson. I am really sorry.  I'd hate to have to be the person who has to remove that paper.

I am getting ready to remove some wallpaper in my master bedroom before painting a new color and I am not looking forward to it.

Respected Contributor

Hopefully you haven't paid her any money. I would call her and let her know that her services were no longer needed. Also I would feel no guilt at all about it.

Esteemed Contributor

I'd be nice and friendly, make up a fiblet if need be, and make sure she does not return. Live and learn.

Trusted Contributor

She was sick. It happens. Text her to let her know you had someone come in to finish up in her absence and you hope she is feeling better. That's ALL you need to say.