Valued Contributor

What would you say? What would you do?

I am needing to send a text to a lady who started wallpapering my newly remodeled bathroom last week and ask her not to return.  To start with, when she got here, she was acting kind of strange.  Also, she did not have some of her tools and she said her helper could not be with her.  She proceeded to start the job (small bathroom) and was acting more and more odd.  Finally, she said she was not feeling well and would have to leave and she called her husband to help here remove her stuff and left saying she would come back at another time.  She called that night and said she went to prompt care and would come back when she was feeling better.  Meanwhile the new bathroom was a total mess.  Glue was all over, water was leaking out of the seams and bottom of the paper, mess all over my new quartz countertop and floors and what she did is a total mess and will have to be removed and started again.  Needless to say, I don't want here to return.  My plan is to send here a text trying to be as kind as I can and include pictures we have taken to support our decision.  I feel terrible having to do this but don't want her to return.  What would you do?

Honored Contributor

Re: What would you say? What would you do?

I wouldn't feel "terrible."  I would inform her that you do not wish to wait until she's feeling better and that you've found someone else to do the job.  The less said the better, IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

just tell her you're not happy with her work........sounds like wallpapering is not her expertise!  did someone recommend her?!

Respected Contributor

@patticakes You are doing the exact thing I would recommend. It is your house and your investment. She should not have come to your home feeling ill. That would be the deal breaker for me as well as the shoddy job that will no doubt have to be removed.

Honored Contributor

In light of your health concerns and the state of the bathroom at this point, I will be hiring someone else to complete the job.  

I hope your health issues are resolved soon, but I won't need your services further

You can include any "best wishes" you feel appropriate.

Honored Contributor

Be straightforward and honest and tell her that you no longer require her services and you wish her well.  You don't have to give her a reason.  Was there a contract or agreement?  As far as feeling bad, why?  

Esteemed Contributor

She is bad news. It will only get worse if she returns. You are doing the right

thing. You have alot to deal with now.

Honored Contributor

What would I do? If she came to me with a lot of recommendations that previous clients were happy with her work, I would give her another chance. The only people we hire for any job in our home need excellent references.

She got sick. There are times things like that happen...

Honored Contributor

@patticakes   It sounds like she should be charged for the mess and wallpaper.  OMG!   You are definitely doing the right thing.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

A simple message...You're Fired.