Respected Contributor

Re: What would you do re: a long -time friendship?

Thank you for the great thread!  All answers have helped me and I plan to write more later.

You are all wonderful for writing Cat Very Happy

Cat

Honored Contributor

Some times you have to move on. I did.

Valued Contributor

@missy1 My bff--or so I thought--of 39 years let me down horribly 2 times before I ended the frienship?  I had a sister die suddenly and the friend did nothing, not a card, come to the viewing, nothing.  I forgave her but that was the beginning of the end.  Then a couple of years later, I had a really bad operation.  Again she was MIA.  No phone calls, visits, cards.  When she finally did call, I asked her about her coldness.  Her reply was that I seemed upset.  Never spoke a word again.  Life goes on.  But I don't believe in one-sided relationships.

Respected Contributor

Friendships are like a pair of old shoes, they are comfortable & fit just right other ones the shoes are falling apart causing bisters but when you brought them new it was great. You decided what pair of shoes you want to keep or toss.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for all the awesome replies!  Sounds like friendships can be complicated at times, but oh, so worth it!  

Respected Contributor

I came from a troubled, sad past.  The best part of my younger years was spwnt with the most wonderful family I could ever imagine.  3 sisters all around my age and I got to see what a happy family was like.  It made me who I am today!!!

2 of the 3 sisters were our witnesses when DH and I got married 36 years ago and off we went with DH's Army job that lasted 24 years.  I tried to re-connect several years ago but we were all spread out and they all were married with children.

Just this month I got on FB only to find them again.  With their kids grown now we are planning a get together.  Their dear parents are gone now but I did tell the girls how much their family has always meant to me.  I love them and always will.  I hope we get to see each other as DH & I don't have any children or family.

For all of you who have tried or are trying to re-connect I say "give it a try or 2."  There is a reason why you were friends and you might have a great time remembering things the other forgot.  Let us know.  Thank you for starting this thread!!!

Blessings,  Cathy

Honored Contributor

@barb40   Friendships should be two sided.  If you are the only one reaching out, that is a problem.  Why can't your friend take the time to reach out to you?  It sounds like she could care less.  If it really bothers you ask her if something is wrong?  Does she want to remain friends?  I am a straight forward person and that is what I would do.  You should do what you feel is right.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

It appears that she prefers spending time with her husband . Maybe she will lose him some day and come crawling back. Being connected to someone at the hip is never a good thing. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's kind of harsh, RetRN...I never mentioned anything about my friend's husband...and certainly would never wish "she will lose him someday and come crawling back". 

This post is about my friendship with my girlfriend of 40 years...that is all.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a wonderful friend who lives 3 states away from me. We worked for the same companty/group and developed a close friendship, although we only saw each other a couple of times each year. We emailed each other daily and she was an important person to me when I went through a divorce. Over the years our lives changed, we no longer talk daily - but we maintain our mutual feeling of friendship for each other. I wouldn't send a letter to your friend. Recognize that people's lives change - it doesn't mean that your friend no longer values you.