Regular Contributor

Re: What would YOU do? Scary situation today (long story)

Thank God there are still a few caring human beings like you left in this world.  It's called doing the right thing!  I'm reminded of the horrible rape that happened on a bus recently where nobody had the decency to help the poor woman being assaulted.  

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I have to say that I find so many women our age tend to be "hurt" over a lot of things that aren't that terrible. Just my opinion.

I'll have to remind you of that next time you're upset. 

Honored Contributor

I would be proud to call you my friend.  Here's hoping this blows over soon.

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1  Bless you for helping the lady!  In retrospect it would have been safer to call police as you did but not go in the road. 
   I think that's what upset your son, worrying about you. But I would react the way you did with your son! 
                    😇

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Throughout this whole post I've seen so many comments about how terrible the OP's son acted with her.  None of us were there to see how all of this went down.  My mother is deceased now, but honestly if she had told me that she had done the same thing I would have jumped on her too.  

After my father's death and before my mother moved into a security highrise I would always worry about her and many times I would remind her to be very careful about not answering the door without knowing who it was and making sure she didn't go out alone at night.  She never took those comments as demeaning her abilities but that I was concerned about her safety.  

I now do the same with my husband.  He's all I have and while it would be wonderful to say that he ran into a burning building to rescue someone, if he dies while doing it, I've lost my husband and all the praise in the world about what a hero he was wouldn't bring him back to me.  

While I believe in helping others when possible, the main responsibility we have is to our family.  

Back in the late 70's while I was still married to my first husband, we heard a loud knock on our front door around 2:00 AM. We had just moved into the house a few weeks earlier.  My husband went to the door and just yelled throught the locked door what do you want.  I could see through a window that it was a young woman.  She said my boyfriend is trying to beat me up, can I come in and use your phone to call my parents.  I did not believe her story for a moment.  My husband said there's a pay phone at the 7/11 on the corner.  There's no way we were going to open that door. 

A few days later, the police showed up at our house looking for the previous tenants. It was actually pretty scary at the time because they had their guns drawn.  When we explained who we were and not the people they were looking for they left but told us that the previous people had been criminals with outstanding arrests warrants and to be careful with anyone unusual showing up.  We had never met these people because they had been evicted before we had leased the house.

I've no doubt in my mind that this girl was just trying to get into our house and very likely had others waiting for us to open that door.  

I guess the point of this post is to say that it's wonderful to help others but it's necessary to use common sense to avoid you being the victim.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1  Bless you. You are a good person. ❤️

Honored Contributor

Saw this today -

A Good Samaritan has his car stolen while helping stricken man

A recovering addict stops to help an old man who had fallen while crossing busy Kings Highway and had his car stolen as he pulled the guy to safety.

“I was making my last delivery of the night,” he said. “There’s this older gentleman … (who) has a urine (catheter) bag tied to his leg. He has a cane and he’s crossing Kings Highway at Elkins. And suddenly he trips, drops his cane and falls into the street. 

“I was doing 60 and I swerved to avoid hitting him, had to slam my brakes,” he said. 

He pulled the car onto Elkins, and rushed to help the old man in the street. He left the car running. 

“All I was thinking was helping this guy. 

The old man was OK, and refused medical treatment. So Mullen returned to his car.  

“It was gone. Just disappeared,” he said. 
As he was pulling the old man from the highway, a car thief swiped his ride.  

He had no way to back home to Glassboro.  
With the car went his phone, which he had left inside when he darted out to help the stricken man. 

“The police called me a taxi. Cost me $60 bucks out of my pocket,” he said.  

“It had been totaled in a crash at an intersection, 6th and State. They didn’t even have it two hours before they wrecked it,” he said. 

Witnesses saw two men dash from the car and disappear into the city.  

Later, a person whose car had been hit in the crash came to Mullen’s mother’s house. 

“They were carrying the insurance card they found in the car. They said, ‘Your car hit us.’

The wrecked Honda was taken to a tow yard. When he saw it the next day, its windows were smashed out. He retrieved personal items, but things had been taken.  

“Someone even took the battery,” he said.  

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@homedecor1 

Forgive me for saying this, but your son is a jerk.  What if that had been YOU disoriented and another lady stopped to assist.  I bet his attitude would be very different.

You did the right thing.  Don't let anyone try to make you believe any different.

Agree with @SurferWife  and @hckynutjohn  regarding your son.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

With your son on this one. Ted Bundy was dressed and groomed nicely,, too.

Anyone in the middle of the highway is either drunk or mentally ill and unless you are trained, I'd call 911 and keep going.

What if the person pulled a gun? What if they were playing victim for a  ride to rob you?

@Snowpuppy    It's sounds like it was obvious someone was in trouble.  A little old lady in the middle of a 4 lane highway is not the person or place for a mugging.  Too many witnesses. 

I agree this was not a Ted Bundy type situation.  An elderly lady with tons of witnesses does not compare in anyway to Ted Bundy.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

It's a shame, with all you're going through with your husband, that this exchange happened with your son.

It's almost an extension of what you're going through.

I hope he did apologize.  

Honestly, it's hard for me to think past "She's not your problem".   That would need to be explained to me how he could even say that about someone in peril.

Apology or not.

@homedecor1  - your son doesn't care about the well being of others.  He may care about you, but not for another human being.  Sad.