Honored Contributor

Re: What would YOU do? Scary situation today (long story)

@homedecor1 IMO your son was reacting to the fact that something bad could have happened to YOU! He was possibly upset at the idea that YOU might have been hit by a car.

Try to see his side when you calm down. Remember he spoke when he was upset. Don't hold it against him. Is this his usual behavior? If not, don't be resentful and hurt.

You are his mom. If he's anything like my son, he worries about you and doesn't want anything bad to happen to you.

I have to say that I find so many women our age tend to be "hurt" over a lot of things that aren't that terrible. Just my opinion.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 

If either of the 2 in this conversation(?) is stupid It is not you.  I see you more as brave and very caring. The other person in your conversation(?), words I cannot use in this forum.

Stand strong, there are getting to be fewer of you, and more of the ???

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 

Forgive me for saying this, but your son is a jerk.  What if that had been YOU disoriented and another lady stopped to assist.  I bet his attitude would be very different.

You did the right thing.  Don't let anyone try to make you believe any different.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honestly, given the situation, I wouldn't have cared if my son said 'never do that again' and it wouldn't bother me if he cursed at me saying it.

But if he said 'she's not your problem', well, I would have a problem with that.

True, there are mentally ill people, and people high on drugs or even drunk that could've been doing exactly what this woman was doing.

But you can tell someone in their late 80's in trouble (disoriented) compared to someone younger who is *scheming* in a nefarious way.

I would've stopped to help her or a young child.  I don't think I could've stopped myself from doing something.  And I probably would've swore at cars as they passed.  Can't help my mouth, sometimes....

Respected Contributor

qfrm - qt.jpg

Honored Contributor

I can understand his concern for you, but his disrespectful attitude and language toward you was uncalled for, IMO.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

My DH did something similar to what you did and he did it twice!

Once, while driving, he suddenly pulled over to the curb and I didn't know why until he got out of the car.  He saw an elderly man in a phone boot (remember those?) who had fallen and was in some distress.  He helped him stand up and offered to call someone or take him to a hospital.  The man declined both and was able to compose himself and walk off.

The second incident was with an elderly woman who walked over to us in a local mall and was disoriented on how to get back on a highway.  She followed us to where we led and she was off to the races with a wave.  Some day it may be us.

I love that man.Heart

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy 

Obviously you know my son because he gave the same scenario and more as others pointed out.   

I guess he's seeing the reality (and there are some looneys in FL) and I acted on instinct 😉

Esteemed Contributor

I think you did what most humans should do when a person is in trouble. She could have been hit by a car or worse. We are living in a very divided universe. I don't know your age but I grew up caring about humans. I would bet her family was very happy you cared enough to stop.

Your son was concerned for your well-being but didn't express it properly. When people are scared they usually react badly. Give him time to cool down.

You are my kind of person. Take care and have happy ho!idays.

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1  You helped. We ALWAYS have to help a fellow human being. I'm happy there are still people like you in the world. And before I get told about Ted Bundy, yes, I know what happened with that. I believe that @homedecor1  did a quick assessment of the situation and knew the woman was in trouble.

I always think of what Mr. Rogers told children about being afraid of something horrible happening and told them to always look for the helpers and good people. His own mother told him that. And it is true. If there is a fire or hurricane, if you look, you see the helper angels in human form. IMO, @homedecor1  was just that today. Bless you for that.Heart