Trusted Contributor

Re: What would YOU do? Scary situation today (long story)

You did the right thing! More importantly, you taught your son a valuable lesson. Although he doesn't agree with you now, he will remember your actions. Maybe one day he will be in a position to help someone. Don't underestimate the influence you have with your son. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for helping her. I am sure the family will be forever grateful for the stranger that had enough compassion to help their family member. ❤️

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd get the same lecture from my H, a police officer. There are a lot of reports about people using children and elderly as decoys to rob, steal cars, or kill.   

I know I would stop, call the police, and wait for the police to arrive. Whether or not I'd get out of the car would depend on the circumstances.

Esteemed Contributor

Big question. With you being such a compassionate person to help a stranger who indeed was in peril , how / who along the way of your son growing up influenced him to develop an uncaring  detached attitude towards someone in need ?  Yes, now a days one has to be careful in not being duped by some people  trying to scam us  , but honestly an elderly  lady disoriented in the middle of the road ....

All , I can say is that All of us sometime in our lifetime will need help .He may learn the  hard way by someone else being uncaring to him as another human being .

Honored Contributor

I'm with you.  I'd probably have done the same thing.  Let your son have his own opinion and don't be hurt by how he conducts himself.  He's responsible now for his behaviors.  Do what your heart tells you is right.  That's how I'm living now.  If it's right, and I know it, I'll do it.  Life's too short.  

Respected Contributor

You should have pulled over on the berm, and waited for someone to hit her...preferably an 18 wheeler for maximum effect.

Then, you could quick grab your diddle phone ( the ONLY thing that matters today) and videoed it, uploaded to You Tube, then bragged how many "likes" you got on Farcebook!!!

Why, you'd be an "influencer"!!

You'd be "trending on So Shull Meeedia!!!!"..

You'd be booked on all the "news" shows!!!

/s

Of COURSE you did the right thing. Called the authorities and tried to help.

If that was an I-phone laying on the white line, there'd be skid marks a mile long people stopping to pick it up . And there'd be fights over who got there first. And there'd be morons there uploading THAT to You Tube.

We live in a moronic and infantile society today.

You did the right thing. Sorry....you son is WRONG. 

MOST people who need help are NOT in the category of the few who make the news in the scare media today.

Would I let someone IN my home or car? No. but call the police, wait to see she's safe, and take out your camera ONLY to video the moron who hits her because HE didn't want to slow down on his way McDonalds.

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

With your son on this one. Ted Bundy was dressed and groomed nicely,, too.

Anyone in the middle of the highway is either drunk or mentally ill and unless you are trained, I'd call 911 and keep going.

What if the person pulled a gun? What if they were playing victim for a  ride to rob you?

Yes and what if they were a person who needed help? I would do this in a heartbeat, and I see most here would, but some people are so selfish they wouldn't bother. Pulled a gun?  I hope You never need help. Unless you are trained to do what? Be unkind.

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

With your son on this one. Ted Bundy was dressed and groomed nicely,, too.

Anyone in the middle of the highway is either drunk or mentally ill and unless you are trained, I'd call 911 and keep going.

What if the person pulled a gun? What if they were playing victim for a  ride to rob you?

the "what if" syndrome.  What if in the 50,000,000 circumstances some one was in trouble as happens every 25 years,  and it turned out to be Ted Bundy.  Especially since the police were called and arrived promptly, after getting your location.  

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

I'm very annoyed especially with my son for his "lecture" to me on this today.  So this is a bit of vent and a bit of "what is wrong with society".

About 1 today I was traveling on a semi-busy side road 4 lanes.  I saw from a distance this older lady, nicely dressed, carrying her pocketbook walking on the white line in the middle of the road.  Omg people were "literally" driving around her 🙄 instead of stopping to see why she would be walking in the road🤦‍♀️

I pulled over called the Sheriff then got out to help her.  Can you imagine the cars never stopped -- honestly, have we become such a non-caring society that we ignore this?

She was disoriented, late 80s and told me she was looking for her family.  Well,  the authorities were there within 5 minutes had stopped traffic &  I left as she was safe.

My son said "never do that again mind your own business". What???? I am so angry his attitude I said "I didn't raise you this way" he said "she's not your problem".  Needless to say other words were exchanged...I'm truly hurt I know he was upset I did this to  which he then said "stop being stupid". I also realize his point I could have been hit by a car but

Honestly, there was in my mind nothing "stupid" about helping this poor disoriented lady.  I said to him you're  ridiculous I hope someday if I'm ever old & disoriented in danger "some caring person would help me and obviously it won't be you!"

I've never would imagine that 1) this is his attitude and 2) his disrespectful words which I won't share here☹️☹️

Thank you for letting me vent because this is just so "unsettling" to me.  I hope she was taken to "safe environment" and I'd do it again, even if it's stupid!  

Bless you, you did a wonderful thing.I would have been right behind you. Don't worry about your son, sometimes our kids are smart alecs. And when we get older they know it all as we're from the other generation.. You know the greatest generation. When they get older they wonder how their parents thought to be so kind. Your not stupid your a kind thoughtful person. Put it to rest, and shame on him.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's a shame, with all you're going through with your husband, that this exchange happened with your son.

It's almost an extension of what you're going through.

I hope he did apologize.  

Honestly, it's hard for me to think past "She's not your problem".   That would need to be explained to me how he could even say that about someone in peril.

Apology or not.