Honored Contributor

I can't wear skinny anything - I want my clothing to be comfortable to wear and that means it needs to have some room between me and the fabric so I can move in it. I also believe clothing compliments a body much better when it has some drape to it. I'm glad I am old enough to not need to follow this trend. I like tops that are reasonably modest - at 68 years old no one is interested in looking at my cleavage. I carry weight around my middle so I prefer my tops out , not tucked in, and I like tunics. In shoes - I was born with foot problems and have never worn high heels. At my age , and after a lifetime working on my feet, my feet are no longer attractive so I do not wear very open shoes. Closed toe, flats or very low wedges for me.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Okayyyy   I came to that conclusion when I was about 16, I'm 56 now.  I've had weight issues my entire life but I have never had fashion issues.  I've known since I was a teenager that, in style or not, some styles just are not complimentary to by body.  So, I don't wear them.  Never have.  I like to feel good about what I'm wearing and I don't particularly care about wearing every trend that comes along.  I'm a size 16 now but I was a 18/20 for several years.  I'm short but I have  a nicely proportioned body.  I have an hour glass figure.  I agree, big shapeless oversized tops make me look like a big squat  box.  Light, flimsy material shows every ripple.  I also think that prints make me look wider and older.  I wear solids, I choose materials that have substance to them and I choose styles that have some structure to them.  And I take advantage of my good parts.  I have a flat stomach and a small waist.(for my size).  I wear belts that pull me in.  I wear form fitting tops.  I wear statement necklaces and earrings.  I love jewel tone tops.   Anything that brings attention to my top half because my bottom half is my challenge.  My sister says we have "thick" legs.  My legs are shapely but they are "thick" and I do have a generous booty.  So, I downplay my bottom half by wearing black/navy/dark gray skirts and pants.  I always wear dark wash jeans and I wear bootcut or a  straight leg jeans.  I don't wear skinnies, I don't wear leggings....ever.  With the exception of Dreamjeannes leggings in black.  I always have two pairs and I only  wear them when I want to tuck my "jeans" into my boots.  If this sounds like a lot, it's because it is.  It's all second nature for me because I have never been a size 4 who could take something off the rack, put it on and look fabulous in it.  I have always had to put thought and planning into my wardrobe so I can look fabulous.   

You truly bring new meaning to the word vanity. I find your arrogant, boastful posts so disgusting. Have you ever heard of humility?

Esteemed Contributor

I’m built straight up and down, not much of a waist.  I look best in dresses without a defined waist, something straight up and down (sheath or shift style), or an empire style. 

Honored Contributor

I'm 5ft3 wear a size small  and I'm older, so even though I like a bohemian style of dressing I have to be careful. I still wear jeans, but nothing skinny, love flowing tunic tops made for a petite woman and wear tee shirts with a long sweater over it. I prefer soft suiting if I have to dress up.

Honored Contributor

Being a petite, separates work the best for me. I find one piece things just hit me wrong

Respected Contributor

I'm 5'5" and typically wear a size medium. Sometimes I'll buy petites, depending on the manufacturer. I tend to stick with classic, tailored clothing, but look for updated versions when shopping. I stay away from tunics, crops and capris because they just make me look shorter and I've really never liked them. I favor slim cut, straight leg pants, but also like the look of a modified boot cut trouser with heels. Skirts are never longer than the top of my knee and I tend to prefer more of a pencil cut. I live most of my life very casually now, so it's typically jeans and a sweater or bermuda shorts and a cute summer top for every day wear. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN  Honestly, I read @chrystaltree's post twice and I didn't find anything arrogant about it. I read a well thought out, honest post in order to reply to the op. I'm sorry you saw it differently.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

I like structured clothing especially jackets.  I do not like high/low, shark bite or tunics even though I am tall.  I think they all make people look heavier than they are.  I like straight leg jeans/pants.  My legs are too thin to wear leggings besides there are very few people over the age of 16 that they look good on.  I like color.  I never wear black except at night (only because it is easier to find dressy clothes in black).  I like colorful shoes. 

Honored Contributor

I really don't know what doesn't work.

I just wear what I like - basically the same styles I've worn since the 1960s ... with minor updates.  I have a "look" that I've tried to maintain.  It's worked all these years.

Super Contributor

O.M.G. .. how I hate that Hi.. Low Hem ...especially if there is a slit on the side

to accomodate the short front from the longer back...

All i can say is what the heck ....