Honored Contributor
I have come to the conclusion...I don't look or feel comfortable certain styles of clothing. Size 16 shapeless tops add weight and are not comfortable. So many clothes today lack detail such as princess seams so on. What doesn't work for you?
Trusted Contributor

It's probably more of a preference, but I don't like the high/low hems that cover the butt in back but shorter in the front. I like tunics, but I really prefer them to be the same length all around-that seems to look better on me.

Honored Contributor

Okayyyy   I came to that conclusion when I was about 16, I'm 56 now.  I've had weight issues my entire life but I have never had fashion issues.  I've known since I was a teenager that, in style or not, some styles just are not complimentary to by body.  So, I don't wear them.  Never have.  I like to feel good about what I'm wearing and I don't particularly care about wearing every trend that comes along.  I'm a size 16 now but I was a 18/20 for several years.  I'm short but I have  a nicely proportioned body.  I have an hour glass figure.  I agree, big shapeless oversized tops make me look like a big squat  box.  Light, flimsy material shows every ripple.  I also think that prints make me look wider and older.  I wear solids, I choose materials that have substance to them and I choose styles that have some structure to them.  And I take advantage of my good parts.  I have a flat stomach and a small waist.(for my size).  I wear belts that pull me in.  I wear form fitting tops.  I wear statement necklaces and earrings.  I love jewel tone tops.   Anything that brings attention to my top half because my bottom half is my challenge.  My sister says we have "thick" legs.  My legs are shapely but they are "thick" and I do have a generous booty.  So, I downplay my bottom half by wearing black/navy/dark gray skirts and pants.  I always wear dark wash jeans and I wear bootcut or a  straight leg jeans.  I don't wear skinnies, I don't wear leggings....ever.  With the exception of Dreamjeannes leggings in black.  I always have two pairs and I only  wear them when I want to tuck my "jeans" into my boots.  If this sounds like a lot, it's because it is.  It's all second nature for me because I have never been a size 4 who could take something off the rack, put it on and look fabulous in it.  I have always had to put thought and planning into my wardrobe so I can look fabulous.   

Trusted Contributor

If you are short, or greater than a size 12, the Logo style tops don't do you any favors.  No matter my size, I always make sure to wear things that fit.  Tops too small, or too large don't do anyone any favors.  I find colors that please me, do the best I can, then throw the shoulders back and make sure I go out with a smile on my face.  Also, don't shop when you're rushed, or last minute for a special occasion.  

Honored Contributor

Classic, traditional, with a little edge and a great attitude.

Honored Contributor

For me it's classic traditional cookie cutter type styles, boxy tops and tees, high waisted jeans or pants with elastic at the waist, ballerina flats, ankle pants (except for well fitting legging type jeans), any classic type shoes, bell sleeves,  frilly ruffles, any type of scarf, turtleneck or high necked tops, dresses especially below the knee or maxi styles.

Honored Contributor

The older I get, the more basic pieces I seem to like.  I have to have well fitting slacks.  If I don't, then my mood gets bad!!!  I think if you don't have a collection of basic color bottoms --- such as black, navy, brown --- and ones that fit you well and are comfortable --- then you might as well forget looking good and feeling good!  

I don't like tops that dip too low or ones that are made of thin material or material that is too stretchy that grabs on to every little bit of flesh that you have!  I like material that skims over the body. 

I do like bright colors on my tops but seem to get the most compliments when I wear colors such as peach, mint, coral, pink, etc.  I love accenting with jewelry.  I have a lot of scarves but have been too lazy to mess with them lately.  Also, they seem to make me hot!  But when I see other ladies wearing them, they look so nice.  I am going to try again.

I don't like fussy clothes.  Clothes which have too much detail or require too much care or wrinkle easily.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I prefer Classic styles too...but I like sparkly stuff for weddings and special occasions..

Esteemed Contributor

What doesn't work for me and what i don't care for on me are  bootcut pants, darts in tops (i am a bit lower at this age and it makes you look worse with darts above your breasts)

leggings, uneven hems, rayon thin materials, big prints,maxi dresses, bulky cardigans with uneven hems and ruffle fronts (add weight),  tunic tops (i am short and it accents the faults).....................too fitted clothes (like alot

of the GILI line)....................

Esteemed Contributor

Just can't get behind ruffles, lace, or logo styles. Too much going on, IMO. My daughter in her 40's and I went shopping for her while we were visiting on our vacation. She has a beautiful shape, but I noticed her always selecting ruffly stuff. After she was in the dressing room, I brought her a dress that was very streamlined with no bells and whistles. She tried it on to please me, and it was an instant hit. Sometimes it pays to try on clothing that we otherwise would have passed by.

just Dropping Into Say Good Morning Graphic

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein