Valued Contributor

So well said!  What a neat lady.  I am a sm. but there are lots of styles that don't look good on me.  When my daughter was little and I would complain about my short, fat legs, she said, "Mom your legs aren't fat, they are just fluffy"  Now I don't know that that changed my legs but it changed my perspective.

Honored Contributor

Shark bites and uneven hems have got to go.  They are trends and I prefer to purchase clothes that continue to look good in 4 years or so.  Some tunic tops are much too long and add pounds where you don't want them.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Okayyyy   I came to that conclusion when I was about 16, I'm 56 now.  I've had weight issues my entire life but I have never had fashion issues.  I've known since I was a teenager that, in style or not, some styles just are not complimentary to by body.  So, I don't wear them.  Never have.  I like to feel good about what I'm wearing and I don't particularly care about wearing every trend that comes along.  I'm a size 16 now but I was a 18/20 for several years.  I'm short but I have  a nicely proportioned body.  I have an hour glass figure.  I agree, big shapeless oversized tops make me look like a big squat  box.  Light, flimsy material shows every ripple.  I also think that prints make me look wider and older.  I wear solids, I choose materials that have substance to them and I choose styles that have some structure to them.  And I take advantage of my good parts.  I have a flat stomach and a small waist.(for my size).  I wear belts that pull me in.  I wear form fitting tops.  I wear statement necklaces and earrings.  I love jewel tone tops.   Anything that brings attention to my top half because my bottom half is my challenge.  My sister says we have "thick" legs.  My legs are shapely but they are "thick" and I do have a generous booty.  So, I downplay my bottom half by wearing black/navy/dark gray skirts and pants.  I always wear dark wash jeans and I wear bootcut or a  straight leg jeans.  I don't wear skinnies, I don't wear leggings....ever.  With the exception of Dreamjeannes leggings in black.  I always have two pairs and I only  wear them when I want to tuck my "jeans" into my boots.  If this sounds like a lot, it's because it is.  It's all second nature for me because I have never been a size 4 who could take something off the rack, put it on and look fabulous in it.  I have always had to put thought and planning into my wardrobe so I can look fabulous.   

You truly bring new meaning to the word vanity. I find your arrogant, boastful posts so disgusting. Have you ever heard of humility?

I must be missing something. She just admitted to thick legs and being a size 16. How is that boasting?

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:
I have come to the conclusion...I don't look or feel comfortable certain styles of clothing. Size 16 shapeless tops add weight and are not comfortable. So many clothes today lack detail such as princess seams so on. What doesn't work for you?

No matter what size I am because my weight has always fluctuated, I look best in streamlined clothing...classics and  more neutral clothing. I don't wear trendy but updated classics. Rarely, do I wear the latest of clothing. If you were to see me in a crowd, I would have on a camel hair coat, cashmere turtleneck and wool trousers from J. Crew. A nice pair of leather boots and a Furla handbag. Jewelry ...wedding rings and diamond hoops or studs with a nice watch. 

Trusted Contributor

I wear what looks good on me, I always have! 

What I have read above tells me that not every style is for everyone!  Age and body type should tell us a lot!!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: What works for you?

[ Edited ]

I wear jeans, regular straight leg pants and I don't like boot cut.  I like nice tee shirts that I wear out.  Sometimes I will wear a blouse. Being retired, I dress casually.  I wear ankle boots and some are a little higher but not high boots and I wear flats.  I wear clothes that will still look good in 5 years.  That is, I don't buy the current trend.  I love beanie hats and pom poms and mufflers and scarves.  Cat Very Happy  P.S.  Oops!  I already answered this but as I said, I am retired and are able to forget.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I am retired, so I can be more casual than I was when working. I like classic styles. I go between a size 10-12. Right now, I on my way back down to a size 10...almost there. I have a weird body. I am top heavy, but too skinny on the bottom. I look best in straight leg pants. Bootcuts are too baggy on me, and my legs look like twigs in leggings. I do wear yoga pants at home, but would not in public. I try to minimize my bustline, as that is my heaviest part...too big for the rest of me. My waistline is not small either. My lower stomach is flat, but I carry weight right under my breasts. I don't like T-shirts, although I do wear them as pj tops. I like princess seams in tops and also like peplum tops. They define my waistline. I dress to try to enhance my figure. I don't dress to be a fashionista.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

I do not wear boot cut bottoms or high/low tops. I like classic designs.

Honored Contributor

I'm going to go the opposite and say what doesn't work for me.

What doesn't work for me is other people trying to dictate what does and does not look good on certain bodies.  It doesn't work for me for someone to say no one over a size 0 should wear leggings.  Or that all LOGO or LOGO like items are awful.  That skinny jeans shouldn't be worn by anyone who isn't 5'9" tall and a size 00.

I know what works for me and if someone thinks otherwise, that's not my problem.  I don't need your help in dressing myself but thanks anyhow.     

Esteemed Contributor

I wear what I feel looks good and right for me and my height and age. 

However, being a woman of color/ethnicity - the more simple the garment, the more attractive I appear.  All the ruffles, various hem lines and especially prints and designs aren't for someone like me.  Even jewetry doesn't enhance my look.  I know many of us already have the lovely skin tones, shapes and sizes in our natural appearances.  Wearing less decorations only brings forth the lovliness. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust