Honored Contributor

Re: What were you scared of..........

When I was a little girl we didn't have AC.  Mom always had a box fan in their bedroom going for cross ventilation.  My sister and I had the back bedroom (only 2 bedrooms, this was in the 50's).  So duing the summer and spring or when it was nice, we always had the screen windows open..  EVEN AT NIGHT!!  The window, like the one I've posted, was at the end of my bed, and I was terrified of someone or something coming in that window..

1950 house windows 

Image result for 1950 house windows
Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

Loud noises, the Jack-In-the Box, and later the mummy that lived in my closet and watched me through the louvers in the door.

Now I'm working hard to tone down my big personality so I won't be seen as an old fool.  

Amazing how things change isn't it?  I'm no longer really afraid of mummies. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Loud noises, the Jack-In-the Box, and later the mummy that lived in my closet and watched me through the louvers in the door.

Now I'm working hard to tone down my big personality so I won't be seen as an old fool.  

Amazing how things change isn't it?  I'm no longer really afraid of mummies. 

Now that you said that, there will be one in your closet.

LOL

Respected Contributor

My mother.

Respected Contributor

"Hobos" who were mean and would steal little children. they allegedly lived by the RR tracks very close to our house. 

my friend and i played a game we called Meatloaf Town. it was a special town in the backyard where Hobos could not find us.  we had a tree house and a rope swing to escape the Hobos. 

it was scary being at the Laundrymat because it was right next to the tracks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ever having to use the fallout shelters. 

Honored Contributor

Son of Sam was a real threat in my area in the late 1970's, I would go out with friends and make sure the windows were up and looked all around when we hit a stop light. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

the dark

people

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Amazing how things change isn't it?  I'm no longer really afraid of mummies.    Now that you said that, there will be one in your closet.

LOL

@YorkieonmyPillow    Well THANK YOU SO MUCH for that information!  (OH NO!!!)  Woman Surprised   At least he can't see out because the closet door is solid now!  

(Off to find a chair to jam under the closet door at night. . . LOL!!)

Super Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow

Quicksand!!!  I had forgotten that I was afraid of it until I read your post!!

Also snakes - and still am afraid of them!  I'm always "on the lookout" - they are sneaky critters!!

And the house I grew up in had a walk out basement with a closet under the basement stairs...whenever I was home alone, I forced myself to go down into the basement to make sure that outside door was locked and no one was hiding in the closet...   I would always check the door  first .sometimes, if the door was locked I would unlock it and then check the closet before I re-locked it....just in case I needed to make a quick getaway!!