Esteemed Contributor

Re: What two places (or types of food) would you want to eat out at?

My preference is an ethnic restaurant (Mexican, Thai, Indian & Greek).  I also prefer places that are not chain restaurants but there are a few I don't mind.  I refuse to go to the family style restaurants that are chains (MCL Cafeteria, Bob Evans, Cracker Barrel, etc.).  I refer to those as TV Dinner restaurants.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

My favorites places to eat are Andy Nguyen's, which is a vegan/vegetarian Vietnamese restaurant, El Papagayo for vegan Mexican food,and the Green Boheme, a raw vegan restaurant.

My favorite chain restaurant, when I want to pick up a quick lunch or dinner, is Chipotle; I love the veggie burrito bowl, but can never leave without an order of guacamole and chips no matter how hard I try not to order it!

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

I’m not sure if you’re asking what major nationwide chains people like to eat at, or - ?

To be clear:  NO not about chains.  Just the type of dishes or food you like to eat.

Thanks for clarifying.

Really depends on my mood. I love to have breakfast for lunch or dinner, so will go to “breakfast served all day” places when I want a change-up.

I love seafood (and live in the middle of a tourist seafood paradise).  I don’t even think of Mexican food as ethnic food, it’s just what I eat as often as I want to. Sometimes I want steak, sometimes a good burger. Often I want to go Chinese, or Thai, Indian, Persian. I no longer have access to a wider variety of good ethnic restaurants since I’ve moved to the country.  One of the two things I miss.

Although there are chains I don’t mind or even like, I usually go non-chain by preference.  

It’s the whole package for me, though. I don’t really enjoy a meal fully unless the service and surroundings are pleasant as well as the food.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Japanese (sushi), Greek and Italian are the places we seem to go often, Sushi being our number one choice 70% of the time

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Thai and Red Lobster

Trusted Contributor

Bonefish and Outback have been our favorite restaurants this past year.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

I rarely eat out but I love seafood when I eat out. A good steak is a favorite, too, but I also love a really good burger (not fast food) on a plate.

I have a few high quality local restaurants that I really enjoy but I have no problem going to a good chain either. 

Respected Contributor

Love good fish and it's harder to find than you'd think.

I also enjoy buffets, just check the reviews before going.  Chinese,  Indian,  not so much thai as a lot of it is too sweet for me.  Dim Sum is fun. German is good in this cold weather.

Honored Contributor

If you have a Bone Fish near you  and love fresh fish grilled or pecan crusted or bang bang shrimp, great caesar salads, crusty bread- try it-its one of my favorite restaurants.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

My favorite places to eat are locally owned places that try to use organic and local ingredients as much as possible.

Also, ones that cater to and understand dietary requests, as my mom has gluten sensitivities. 

Fortunately, I live in an area that has many restaurants like this.

My favorite is a restaurant called Nell Thorn.  They have a variety of things on their menu, from seafood to pasta to chicken and some beef. They also have salads and small plates.  Many of their items can be ordered whole or half portion.

This way, when a few of us go out, we can all find something we like.

They also have a rotating list of seasonal cocktails, extensive wine and beer list, and a rotating dessert menu that is to die for!

They usually also have 3-4 daily specials.

The restaurant is located in a town about 20 minutes away which has many other good places to eat that are similar in how they are run, from Mexican to Italian to pub food to comfort food.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero