Honored Contributor

Re: What two places (or types of food) would you want to eat out at?

Well, I live in an area with the best food in the country, and there are two chain restaurants I like a lot.

One is Outback.  Ours does a really good prime rib AND a fabulous Margarita.  Plus, it attracts a fun group of people.

The other is Denneys.  Before you scoff, read this: some high falootin' food critic reviewed chain restaurants.  Cracker Barrel came in first and Denney's came in second!  This was all chains in the US.  What I like about Denny's is their coffee and their breakfasts which are available all day and which I order every time I drag anyone there.

Honored Contributor

I’m not sure if you’re asking what major nationwide chains people like to eat at, or - ?

Except for a few, I prefer NOT to eat at national chains except very occasionally/if I have no alternative.

When I eat out, I eat Mexican, Chinese, Indian and Thai food. I’ve had my favorite places, wherever I’ve lived.

My favorite chains? Red Lobster, Marie Callender’s, Chili’s. Alternatively I like small chains local to me that serve dishes I enjoy. With couples or groups it’s always good to find a place that has a wide variety of things on the menu, “something for everyone” no matter what kind of mood you’re in.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Seafood or Italian.

Honored Contributor

One for me is Mexican food.  I could eat that every day.

The other is a local restaurant that is gone now.  But they had the best item on their menu - it was Australian lobster tail and Alaskan King Crab legs.  There was some other stuff on the plate but I don't even remember what it was.  

Australian is, by far, THE best lobster and Alaskan King crab is the best of the crab, so this dinner was just everything for me.  For a few years it was my birthday dinner place and I always got that same thing.   Some butter and a whole bunch of lemons and it could not have been a better dinner for me.   I'm sad it's gone.  Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

Seafood or Italian.

Me too!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Respected Contributor

We avoid fast food and chains and seek out local places. They aren't always easy to find. I admit we are in a happy "rut" of Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese, and Mexican food at the moment. 

Honored Contributor

I like to eat food that I can't make at home or is too much trouble.  Mostly that is ethnic food (Japanese, Vietnamese, Indian, Mexican, etc).  

For number two that would be seafood.  I cook salmon, lobster, shrimp and scallops at home but there are so many other choices.  There are many good seafood restaurants in the PNW.  

Respected Contributor

I love diners.

Honored Contributor

2 of the chain restaurants in my area are supported more by out of town visitors than locals.  One is Outback and the other is Olive Garden.   The reason for that is strictly due to management and kitchen staff.  

A 3rd restaurant is about to join the above, at least as far as my husband and I are concerned, and that is IHOP.   We pretty much order the same things over and over, so it’s easy to tell when the food is different, and the restaurant has switched to another brand.   The steak tips at IHOP were so bad last month, I wouldn’t even wrap and bring them home to our dogs!   

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I’m not sure if you’re asking what major nationwide chains people like to eat at, or - ?

To be clear:  NO not about chains.  Just the type of dishes or food you like to eat.