Respected Contributor

Re: What to say when someone is taking it wrong

@dex    When you say he sold his house do you mean he sold his cabin or his main home? I took that to mean he sold his main home, lets his son use his cabin and he stays in the laundry cabin. Do you really need a full time caretaker to watch the property all winter? If so you probably need to make this a paid position with the duties clearly spelled out in writing. Does he check on everyone's cabin or just keep the laundry house secure? The burst pipe situation is easily handled by shutting off the water and draining the pipes. This could have happened in the other owners cabins if you are not turning off the water for the winter. 

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey @He sold his home,let his son have his cabin and lives in the caretakers house on the same property.The laundry cabin is just a small place with a washroom and washer and dryer.Each cabin owner secures their own place for the winter and the caretaker secures the rest of the property.We basically need someone to watch for breakins and problems that cold weather can bring.We all know to shut off the water etc. but we need someone around just in case of a problem.He does not go into the other cabins but if a tree fell on one or a roof blew off we need to be notified.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@50Mickey @He sold his home,let his son have his cabin and lives in the caretakers house on the same property.The laundry cabin is just a small place with a washroom and washer and dryer.Each cabin owner secures their own place for the winter and the caretaker secures the rest of the property.We basically need someone to watch for breakins and problems that cold weather can bring.We all know to shut off the water etc. but we need someone around just in case of a problem.He does not go into the other cabins but if a tree fell on one or a roof blew off we need to be notified.

I think I understand now.  It's a compound.  It seems to me that when you all get together to discuss this in August, you only need to discuss and make arrangements for a temporary caretaker when the the gentleman is away.   

Super Contributor

Hmmmmm...if it was me (and my take is exactly that - my take) I'd give him a year to either find another place to live or to make whatever arrangements he needs to in order to have your property seen to.

It will be very hard to reverse this at this point. He obviously thought nothing would happen and sees it as his right to be away from the property for an extended period of time.

I don't know where your property is, but if it isn't too remote I would find someone who is not associated with any of you in any way, shape or form and make sure he/she/they are bound legally to having housing as a condition of employment. If said person needs to be away for any length of time, they should be legally bound to inform all of you and reach a mutual decision about substitute caretaking before they leave (other than emergencies).

It never works well when friends are involved, for a lot of reasons (which you already know). If he is a snowbird, he won't want to change his routine of going South for the Winter, and your properties will continue to be at risk.

Respected Contributor

It seems that he said he would have someone watch over the place while he was gone.  Would it not have been due diligence for everyone to know who exactly would be caring for the property and how to reach this person just to check in and see if he was watching the place

This caretaker has as much to loose as all of you.

I do understand your position, he said he would have someone watch the place, but you all had an obligation.  Just one man should not be held responsible for the costs.  Everyone who owns should pay their share.  It is a nasty pill to swallow and easy to pass responsibility on one. 

You knew he would be gone, it was winter, he said someone would watch the place but that did not happen, and how was he to know this when he was gone?  Yes, he should have been in touch with the person he put in charge, but maybe some of you should have done the same.

You had no contract.

A lawyer will cost money and all of you would have to pay your share of that cost.

Either way, no one wins without paying someone something.  

Friendship isn't cheap when it comes to money and blame.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex , your insurance coverage, if you have any, may be negatively impacted in the event of no oversight for long periods of time.  If that is the case, it is a way forward without making the issue personal.  Good luck!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom @The insurance is the problem.We need to have someone on the property to keep the 8nsurance valid.The laundry room was repaired by all of us with funds we keep on hand for repairs.The problem isn’t the repairs although we aren’t happy about that as it wouldn’t have happened if someone had been there to check things and we also wouldn’t have had the huge electrical bill that occurred as the door warped and broke open.We will see how this goes after the meeting.I hope we can come to a good conclusion that keeps us all friends.Right now this person and his wife aren’t speaking to me because I brought it up that nobody checked the property during the month of February.I had to stay there while caring for my mom who broke her hip.That is when we discovered the problems.

Esteemed Contributor

If I were the caretaker, I would have gladly paid to have the work done since it was my fault. He´s living there for free so that would have been the right thing to do.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex , good luck.  I hope you can keep the peace and find a workable solution❤️!  LM

Trusted Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Lilysmom @The insurance is the problem.We need to have someone on the property to keep the 8nsurance valid.The laundry room was repaired by all of us with funds we keep on hand for repairs.The problem isn’t the repairs although we aren’t happy about that as it wouldn’t have happened if someone had been there to check things and we also wouldn’t have had the huge electrical bill that occurred as the door warped and broke open.We will see how this goes after the meeting.I hope we can come to a good conclusion that keeps us all friends.Right now this person and his wife aren’t speaking to me because I brought it up that nobody checked the property during the month of February.I had to stay there while caring for my mom who broke her hip.That is when we discovered the problems.

You discovered the problem: you HAD to say something.  Were you supposed to keep it a secret until he decided to come back?

Do the math.