Honored Contributor

Re: What to do with diamond ring?

@madzonie ...So sorry for the loss of your son.  I have taken several pieces of gold jewerly to a coin shop to sell...some was scrap and another piece was consignment...you might get more money if you put it on consignment.

Esteemed Contributor

I am so sorry for the loss of your son. In his memory, I would keep the ring and have it made into a mother's ring. You could have an inscription inside. Again, grieving for everyone is different. Give yourself time to make the appropriate decision for you. 

Honored Contributor

@madzonie   I am so very sorry for the loss of your son. 

I have no suggestions regarding the ring; take some time to make your decision.  It is really going to depend upon how you feel about the ring and what it signified and meant to your son.

I wish you well as you mourn the loss of your son.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@madzonie I am so sorry for your loss. At this time I would hold on to the ring and you might have more clarity after awhile. I would not want to do anything right now. Wait and you may want to keep it or if it doesn't hold any sentimental value you can sell it or donate it. I would hold on to it for now though. I wish I had taken time to grieve when my father died as I gave away so many things I wish I had today. You are in my prayers. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@september  I also had my mom's wedding ring shaped into a heart and the jeweler put the stone in the middle of the heart so I can wear it on my necklace.

Honored Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

@september  I also had my mom's wedding ring shaped into a heart and the jeweler put the stone in thr middle of the heart so I can wear it on my necklace.

I'm sure it's quite pretty!

Esteemed Contributor

@madzonie  I'm so sorry for the loss of your son. I wished that the ring was his, then I would have said to keep it.

Since it belonged to his ex, I would sell it in a heartbeat.

Wish you all the best in the future and may you continue to heal and remember every memory from birth as if it were yesterday.

Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

I have known several divorced and/or widowed ladies, including myself, who had our rings restyled into necklaces.  I love mine. 

I know this situation is different, but maybe you could do something similar in remembrance? 

@september  it was not @madzonie   son's ring. It belonged to his ex. I would sell it. I wouldn't want to see that ring.

Honored Contributor

@madzonie @First of all, you need an updated appraisal. There are jewelers that resell for customers online. This could be much more valuable than you realize. You can also resell it yourself. There are a few websites that specialize in this. 

Take very good closeup photos of the ring. I wish I could remember the name of the sellers. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  

There are lots of great suggestions here.  I hope one of them speaks to you when the time is right.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown