Honored Contributor

Re: What to do with diamond ring?

@madzonie,

I just want to say that I am so very sorry for the loss of your son. The greatest loss for any parent!

I know many others here have lost a child too and can know the heartache.

I wish we could all surround you with hugs, and that maybe you will feel some of those in many posts here today.

I think in time you may have a clearer feeling what to do with the ring. Maybe wait for that time like others have said.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

First, my sympathy on your loss. I guess if you don't want it,  you should sell it. Maybe a jeweler could offer some assistance.

Esteemed Contributor

So sorry for your loss and unbearable pain as you make these decisions. 

Since the ring was bought by him with long-term plans in mind, does he have any nieces or do you have any granddaughters who may become engaged in the next year? If so, what a wonderful gesture to gift the ring in memory of your son. The ring will stay in your family forever and will be passed down from generation to generation as a memorial. Heart 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@madzonie wrote:

@qvcfreak wrote:

@madzonie  I just wanted to send you a hug and extend my condolences on the passing of your son. May he Rest In Peace.

Thank you qvcfreak. This has been the most gut wrenching, horrific thing to face. I'm 74 and he was 54.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Woman Sad

Oh @madzonie  I can only imagine the heartbreak. 

My sister lost her oldest son when he was 35. Killed by a drunk driver. It was horrible. 

Just know your forum family is here. ❤️🙏🏻

Respected Contributor

I too am sorry for your loss.  Please don't do anything with the ring just yet.  Perhaps have it restyled and keep it for yourself.  This is totally different, but when my dad died, my Mom hastily cleaned out all of his things and donated them.  It was what she had to do but she never thought to ask me or my sister if there was anything we would have wanted to keep in his memory,  I never told her but I was VERY upset about this. I was close to my dad and would have cherished having one of his sweaters.  So think hard before you give up the ring.  Maybe your son wanted you to have it someday....Again my condolences.

Trusted Contributor

@madzonie I don't have any suggestions for the ring but wanted to give my condolences on the lost of your son.  As the mother of a son, I can only imagine how hard it has been for you.  I'm sure whatever you decide to do will be ok.  If you're undecided, maybe put it aside for now and decide what to do at a later time.

Honored Contributor

Don't do anything with it now.  It's too soon.  Put it safely away and wait a year or more.  When the time is right, you'll know what to do with it.  

Honored Contributor

@madzonie 

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your son my sincere sympathy to you and your family💐

My nephew & his fiancé were killed instantly in a horrific car accident, both early 30s a few years ago.

My brother & SIL had the sad responsibility of cleaning out his home.  They of course care for his sweet dog but my SIL took several pieces of his jewelry and had various pieces of jewelry made for her as a lifetime rememberance.  The pre-engagement diamond was returned to her and she had it placed in a locket with his picture.  This maybe something to consider.

Again, my heart aches for you and hope the good Lord will give you comfort during this time.  I will be praying for you🙏🏻

Trusted Contributor

Thank you thank you thank you everyone. I am so appreciative of all of the responses to my query. I won’t be making any decisions quickly about the ring or other things that belong to my son. I have so many other things to deal with in terms of his financial dealings that I’ll be busy for quite a while. And I’m so sorry for all the losses shared under this post by the other folks. Losing a child has got to be the worst thing ever. And losing an only child only magnifies the grief and pain. Again, thank you so much for your kind and caring comments.
Honored Contributor

@madzonie I am so sorry for your loss.  You are most likely still processing the loss of your son.  Give yourself some time before taking any actions.  You will know in the future what the best decision will be.  You have received excellent advice from the members of this community.  Right now just be kind to yourself.  🙏🏼