Trusted Contributor

What to do with diamond ring?

My son died last month. He was single, no kids. Going through his things we found the diamond ring his ex gave back to him a few years ago. I don't know what to do with it. It has an appraised value of around $3800.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What to do with diamond ring?

[ Edited ]

Some charities such as Purple Heart  might accept it to sell to give the profits to veterans in need .

Honored Contributor

@madzonie Find a jeweler or someone else who will buy it and save the money or donate some to a charity.

Esteemed Contributor

@madzonie  I just wanted to send you a hug and extend my condolences on the passing of your son. May he Rest In Peace.

Honored Contributor

I have known several divorced and/or widowed ladies, including myself, who had our rings restyled into necklaces.  I love mine. 

I know this situation is different, but maybe you could do something similar in remembrance? 

Honored Contributor

@madzonie  So sorry for your loss.  If you do decide to sell it, just be aware you will get nowhere near the appraised value.

Trusted Contributor

@qvcfreak wrote:

@madzonie  I just wanted to send you a hug and extend my condolences on the passing of your son. May he Rest In Peace.

Thank you qvcfreak. This has been the most gut wrenching, horrific thing to face. I'm 74 and he was 54.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Woman Sad
Esteemed Contributor

@madzonie  I am so very sorry for your loss! Bless your heart. Would you want to just keep it yourself and wear it? Maybe it was an act of grace that you found it.....and you were meant to find it...perhaps as a gift from your son--- in a sense. Just a thought.

Respected Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss, truly heart breaking to bury ones child.  

I like the idea of repurposing into a necklace for a memory.  

Respected Contributor

@madzonie  I'm so sorry about the loss of your son.

Maybe you should wait a while if you're thinking of selling the ring. Have you thought about putting the stone into a pendant setting for yourself? Maybe you should give yourself some time before you decide what you want to do with it.