Trusted Contributor

Re: What the hosts do to sell

@KateE wrote:

They are working, like most of America, they have bills to pay and obligations that require money. You do what is expected of you when you work for a company and in return you get paid and if that is hard selling you do what you need to for yourself and your family.

Hard selling is a turn off - literally in this case.

These hosts need to realize this - and so do their bosses.

Frequent Contributor

I have to reply to a comment I wrote and another poster replied to it and I say this, if, hard selling is a turn off, then either don't watch it, or maybe, don't buy it. They are not making you buy anything, that my friend is up to you. 

Regular Contributor

With their salaries I don’t think they care if we are turning the channel 🤷🏼‍♀️

Trusted Contributor

@summergal1 wrote:

With their salaries I don’t think they care if we are turning the channel 🤷🏼‍♀️

If I do not watch and buy, they lose those big paychecks.

Do you see the connection?

Trusted Contributor

@KateE wrote:

I have to reply to a comment I wrote and another poster replied to it and I say this, if, hard selling is a turn off, then either don't watch it, or maybe, don't buy it. They are not making you buy anything, that my friend is up to you. 

And, again, if I do not watch and buy, they are off the air.

Honored Contributor

Re: What the hosts do to sellI

I wonder who the host is??

Honored Contributor

They're still on the air and they still have tons of viewers, so I don't think that we can conclude that their sales tactics don't work -- no matter how annoying some find them to be.

I'm one who never watches, but that's primarily because their wares don't interest me. Plus, if they did, I would just go online as I do elsewhere.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

They're still on the air and they still have tons of viewers, so I don't think that we can conclude that their sales tactics don't work -- no matter how annoying some find them to be.

I'm one who never watches, but that's primarily because their wares don't interest me. Plus, if they did, I would just go online as I do elsewhere.

These tactics are failing.

That's the point.

They never used to do this and now, with all of the competition that's out there, they have resorted to very hard selling.

It is and will be a failure.  

Since you said you do not watch, you may not be aware of what us watchers seem hear, see and know.

The hosts need viewers.  If we do not watch, they will not be in the air.  It's that simple.  Hosts need to present in a way that keeps us tuning in.

That's not happening right now.

Respected Contributor

@alarmclock wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

That's the point.

They never used to do this and now, with all of the competition that's out there, they have resorted to very hard selling.

Since you said you do not watch, you may not be aware of what us watchers seem hear, see and know.

The hosts need viewers.  If we do not watch, they will not be in the air.  It's that simple.  Hosts need to present in a way that keeps us tuning in.

I'm truly curious to those posters who are upset by the selling tactics of .Q and HSN. What and how exactly would you like to see the hosts do to make your shopping more pleasant?  What kind of products are you looking for?  

I'm also  curious as to how many hours any particular viewer spends watching these channels.  I'm trying to compare it to shopping in a B & M store and wonder how many hours I'd spend covering every department and floor in the building looking for something that catches my attention.  Who has time for that?

Personally, my viewing is limited to perhaps checking them out when a commercial interrupts another show I'm watching, or I'm taking a coffee break and just rummage around the old Q or checking out something I know they're selling that I want or need.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RoughDraft wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

That's the point.

I'm truly curious to those posters who are upset by the selling tactics of .Q and HSN. What and how exactly would you like to see the hosts do to make your shopping more pleasant?  What kind of products are you looking for?  

I'm also  curious as to how many hours any particular viewer spends watching these channels.  I'm trying to compare it to shopping in a B & M store and wonder how many hours I'd spend covering every department and floor in the building looking for something that catches my attention.  Who has time for that?

Personally, my viewing is limited to perhaps checking them out when a commercial interrupts another show I'm watching, or I'm taking a coffee break and just rummage around the old Q or checking out something I know they're selling that I want or need.

#1 - If it's not broken, do not fix it.

We are seeing less in the way of product and brand choices.

We are seeing - and hearing - hosts do very hard selling.

As for the time anyone spends watching?

Some of us are interested in a particular product. We see that it's going to be presented and we watch in order to see new things in that line, demonstrations, etc.

When the host and/or the guest become overbearing and obnoxious, we do exactly what other posters tell us to do.  WE CHANGE THE CHANNEL.

When we do that, we are not watching and WE ARE NOT BUYING.

Some people have the television on as background noise or "company" if they are home alone.  If you have it on for that reason, hearing screeching and yelling defeats the purpose.

How may sales are made while a person is "just watching" or channel surfing and then sees something that catches their eye?  

Answer:  LOTS

When the product line up is boring, the hosts are interrupting the guests, the guests are not that engaging, etc. WE CHANGE THE CHANNEL.

Your comparison of television shopping to brick and mortar shopping?

No one sets out to see every department in a store.  You may go to browse or you may be going to buy a specific thing and then leave.  It works the same way for television shopping.  

You may have it on and see something you are interested in just like you may be walking through a store and see something that caught your eye.

Hope this helps explain what is and has been wrong at QVC for a while now.