Esteemed Contributor

Re: What surprised you most about getting older?

How my body and my face have betrayed me, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

@Deb0509 wrote:

... It will be Christmas again in 10 days and it feels like it was just Christmas a couple of months ago.

@Deb0509

You might be thinking of Christmas in July here at the Q?? 

Smiley Wink

@house_cat

I'm surprised that I actually made it this far in pretty good shape.  I'm more disgusted and angry about the invisibility thang than surprised.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

Time really does go by very fast as we age. Especially when you snowbird as that divides your year into two halves. I enjoy going north to see friends & family but the time in each home flys by.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KLevineFan I don't let people ignore me.I always speak to everyone and have had many great conversations with young moms,their children.some really cute young dads(they are the best to engage about children)and fellow older people.I hate to admit it but I would much rather talk to the young ones as they are so full of life.I complimented a dad on his cute baby and the next thing I know I got the whole story of the birth and was shown the size of the little guys feet.Dad was proud that his son had the biggest feet in the nursery and so I made sure to agree that those were some great looking large feet.I just never pass by anyone without a smile or a hello and I am most often reciprocated.

Honored Contributor

The surprising speed with which arthritis has gone from a minor occasional annoyance to full-on almost-but-not-quite-yet life-controlling pain and discomfort. Within 3-4 years, WHAM.

Loss of stamina and energy.

Not "needing" to care what anyone thinks of how I look or what I do or don't do. I do what I want and need to do in order to be comfortable and happy and that's it. If it doesn't meet with approval, too bad.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I wish I would have taken better care of myself - maintained a healthy weight and exercised regularly.  I think my life would be very different than it is now.  But, even though I'm 68 I have very little gray hair, so that's a plus. 

Respected Contributor

I do not like my shortness of breath, my kidney disease, my stomach and lines on my face. I love my DH, my children, my grandchildren and my home. I guess it all evens things out. We all need to have hope for the rest of our lives. Prayers, some good genes and the right medical help. 

Honored Contributor

For me it's the way I feel inside and think -- young; however, the body is not the same and I do have medical issues.  So I keep going and hope for the best.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I'm not surprised that I'm having health problems as I age, I have lousy genetics. I spent so much time in my youth trying to take care of myself and it really didn't matter all that much in my case. I still eat healthy, exercise and keep my weight down and I'm surprised I'm not worried about my health.

Honored Contributor

I suppose it's that I don't feel older. I'm not wanting grandchildren, to retire, move South, or listen to oldies music. I still want to know about what's new: fashion, music, people. I still expect something wonderful and exciting to happen. I am surprised when I read of a former classmate's death; I hadn't thought of them as aging. But then, I never thought of my parents dying so I was surprised when they did.