Honored Contributor

Re: What surprised you most about getting older?

[ Edited ]

Nothing!  I am only one day older than yesterday and it's not a big deal to me.

Okay, I just thought of something.  I was surprised to learn how younger people view older people, especially at work.  Many are just ready to cast you off as being slow or not able to keep up mentally.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been shocked at the way I am viewed/treated by the general public.  Old people are ignored.  I feel the same inside as even 10 yrs ago but before and now that I need a walker, many people just ignore me. I still have $ to spend, places to go, things to do.

Honored Contributor

For me - physical weakness. I always was very strong - did hard physical work, full time for 42 years. Now - arthritis , esp. in my spine , has left me very weak despite that I do exercise and keep as active as possible.By the time I go to bed at night my body is screaming at me and I wake in the mornings barely able to walk into the bathroom.  I never imagined this would happen to me.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

I have more confidence but other than that I too believe I am still that twenty year old inside.When I pass a mirror in a store I am always shocked by the old lady I see.

I always looked like my Mom & Grand mother. Now when I look in the mirror & see my grandma looking back it is startling.

Honored Contributor

@KLevineFan wrote:

I have been shocked at the way I am viewed/treated by the general public.  Old people are ignored.  I feel the same inside as even 10 yrs ago but before and now that I need a walker, many people just ignore me. I still have $ to spend, places to go, things to do.

A great thing about living in Florida - they like old people here. We are what they base the economy on. We are their main source of employment. They don't ignore us here. However - I do notice this when we go to Pa in the summers.

Trusted Contributor

menopause! i'm truly not enjoying that. also, i'm not as brave and outgoing as i used to be. i've become more afraid and cautious of life in general. that's sad 😕

Trusted Contributor

Some interesting posts here!

My husband has had four very good friends--two have passed away younger than expected.  I, also have lost friends who had been vital healthy people.

Not being as relevant:

At birthday parties for our grandchildren, the guests arrive and are very cordial,

and then my husband and I are sort of the forgotten older couple by most of the

adults.  Our daughters in laws and sons are very thoughtful and include us always.

It's just the way it should be really, it's just getting used to...

Thinking about the future:  We no longer say, "Oh yes, maybe in several years we'll (fill in the blank)..."

But overall, I feel very fortunate.  My own mother died at age 55 (ovarian cancer) and never knew her grandchildren. 

I have enjoyed reading everyone's responses. 

Honored Contributor

Honestly, that i am alone,  the loss of so many i love.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I am less and less concerned about being perfect   Body, hair etc, and more concerned with feeling good and being healthy. I am much less self absorbed.  I stop and smell the roses.

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

How little it takes to be happy. My needs and wants run  neck and neck. I enjoy every day to the fullest

THAT is where I want to be.  I'm getting there, slowly but surely.  Hate to say it, but once I found other hobbies, besides watching QVC, I SAVED a ton of money (b'cz I needed less)!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."