Honored Contributor

Re: What surprised you most about getting older?

I think what surprised me the most, is that I don't mind it as much as I thought I would. I could do without the  aches, creaky knees and my mother's neck, but I'm pretty happy all in all. I just avoid looking in mirrors a lot. 😂 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

That it actually happens and is no fun. I have always worked  with the elderly. Now I am one!

Honored Contributor

I think what surprised me the most was how fast life went by. I don't think I have changed how I think all that much except when I was young I believed the world could change but now I am a realist and more guarded. Overall, I am happier because a lot of the drama queens are out of my life and things are calmer... My health..never expected to have cancer and heart disease but grateful I got through it learning to step back and smell the roses..

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

1.  The little time it took to get here.  Seems like only last year I was turning 21.

2.  Someone else touched on this, but how little there is over which we have control.  We can only control our response to whatever is going on around us.  Illness, family   situations, death of friends/family, etc.

Honored Contributor

I think the biggest surprise has been that doing things like moving furniture or flipping mattresses is a lot more difficult than they were a couple of years ago.  I still do it ... but it takes a lot more effort.  

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I think the biggest surprise has been that doing things like moving furniture or flipping mattresses is a lot more difficult than they were a couple of years ago.  I still do it ... but it takes a lot more effort.  

@ALRATIBA  That's so true.  I still lift weights and jog, so I'm doing all I can to stay strong, but I'm still pretty much a skinny person.  The last time I decided to "flip" my mattress was a real eye opener.  For a couple minutes I thought the thing might fall and squash me.......it was a huge step into reality.  I may be just "turning" it from now on.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

(thread title)

Working around all men, mostly older than myself, that I perceived to be acting much older than their chronological age. It wasn't an act at all because they were physiologically as old or older than their chronological years.

Why? Because they chose to believe that the human body wears out as it chronologically ages, when the real fact is that the body rusts out because of it's lack of being used beyond a misconception and belief that discomfort is a bad thing.

With all the actual physical personal knowledge of health and physical fitness I attained over the years, it was very easy to conclude the following. How one chooses to take care of their body's health and physicality, was/is my determining factor that old, for most, is based solely only on chronological age, when in fact it should include:

Physiological age

Psychological age

Sociological age

My person amount of surprise? Zero.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I am surprised and scared about how fast the time goes.

No matter what the calendar says, I still feel about 30 years old inside.

Honored Contributor

How little it takes to be happy. My needs and wants run  neck and neck. I enjoy every day to the fullest

Honored Contributor

Not as serious/thoughtful as other posters: On the good side,  I noticed hair fell out or got thinner & I only have to shave my legs once a week. On the bad side, brows got thinner and hairs showed up on chin and places I didn't notice it before.