Honored Contributor

What surprised you most about getting older?

I think for me it's the realization that I'm still the same person I was when i was 12, for good or bad - same likes and dislikes, same fears and insecurities.

Also, I thought if we had our kids when we were young, by now we'd be independent, enjoying our grown kids and grandkids.  That wasn't in the cards for us.  I guess it's time to reevaluate those expectations.

Did anything about aging catch you by surprise?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: What surprised you most about getting older?

I'm not the same person I was when I was young, thank the good Lord!   I've certainly  matured.   It wasn't easy, there were many bumps in the road but I survived & learned from them.

I always admired the wisdom of adults.  I never thought I would have it but I do and I love it.   I love feeling confident in my opinions.    I don't need confirmation for who I am or what I do.   I am very content in who I am.     That has been a gift!     So glad I lived long enough to enjoy it.

Honored Contributor

The mind is willing, and the body is slower to respond. Like the brain is the locomotive engine and the body is the caboose!! LOL

Honored Contributor

I have more confidence but other than that I too believe I am still that twenty year old inside.When I pass a mirror in a store I am always shocked by the old lady I see.

Respected Contributor

I definitely am not the same insecure person I was when I was young.  I'm much more comfortable with myself now.....I can handle most situations with a lot less stress, and I value my friendships a lot more than I did during my partying days.

Yes, I'm still a kid at heart in many ways, but a much more educated and wiser one.  I think the one thing that really surprises me about getting older is how quickly it happened!  How in the heck did I get to be 68!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

I have to agree with @software.  I am not the person I was at 12 and very thankful for that.  I now feel like the mature person in the room and voice my opinion without hesitation.

Physcially, this arthritis I have caught me off guard.  My parents never had it and it surprised me.  Everyday something hurts.  But, I do my best to work around it.

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

I have more confidence but other than that I too believe I am still that twenty year old inside.When I pass a mirror in a store I am always shocked by the old lady I see.

@dex - this happens to me too.  I'll quickly catch a glance of myself and I see my mother.  Which is not a bad thing.

Esteemed Contributor

The aches and pains and joints giving out. Being so active and such a tom boy my whole life, it's really bumming me out that I can't do everything. My youngest son and I went out to dinner last night and I told him that I can still remember everything, it just takes me a little longer. LOL

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Valued Contributor

I think I was much more certain of some things when I was young.  Now I realize many of those things aren't so clear to me.  I also now realize most of the things that go on in the world are totally out of my control.  I can only control how I react to them.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, I'm having a bad day today and, I've been thinking about this very subject for a while.

Surprise #1- I've been thru three bear markets and don't have as much money as I had 20 years ago.  Surprise!!! Being afraid of outliving your money is a scary thing.

Surprise #2- Due to #1, I've been looking for PT work.  My surprise?  Employers don't like hiring "old people".

Surprise #3- Aches & pains.  Surgeries!  I never thought I'd see the day when I'd want to have a knee replacement.

Surprise #4- Jowls. No matter what I've done, I still have jowls.  Fortunately, the NuFace mini helps.  

Surprise #5- The amount of cosmetic surgery I've needed to keep my looks.  

Surprise #6- I've outlived 90% of my friends.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."