Esteemed Contributor

Re: What small act of kindness were you once shown that you will never forget?

American Sportswriter, Tucker Elliott, claims "There are more good people than bad people, and overall there's more that's good in the world than there is that's bad. We just need to hear about it, we just need to see it."

So, thank you for sharing your stories. Made my day better.

Age 27, I had a miscarriage during my first pregnancy. A lady I barely said hello to at work had gardenias from her garden waiting on my desk with a signed note encouraging me to be brave. I spotted her at lunch and went to thank her but I cried instead. She embraced me and said, let's have lunch tomorrow at her desk. She was early 60s, or 35 years older than myself. She met her husband in college but stayed home and raised children because husband was a big deal doctor at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. Lovely, artsy, brave, wise woman. When her father became ill she returned home to KC and cared for her dad. Husband told her to stay in KC as he fell in love with a young nurse. My new friend lived in her dad's small, humble, urban home, working to support self while she put monthly spousal support money in savings for future retirement. Children raised, she had only worked long enough to put husband through med school and husband's friend was a fierce attorney. This woman wasn't destitute, but she left her life of luxury behind her. She took care of her widowed dad and reached out to a young woman she barely knew at work. She had no idea I lost my mom at age 12 and dad was an alcoholic. You could say we needed one another. A year later, an adoption fell through at the last minute. Bio mom kept baby. I told my husband before the birth I thought baby was going to be a girl and let's name her Jennifer. Bio mom told me she had a baby girl and she named her Jennifer. Fighting depression, I came back to work with a vase of gardinia's on my desk from my surrogate mother with a note - Stay brave. We enjoyed ten years of friendship until she retired and moved to an American art colony in another country. We kept in touch until she passed of diabetes-related illness. She was my flesh and bones guardian angel. She taught me to stop taking my daily emotional temperature and to be strong.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Mother died when I was 11 years old.  Before I graduated from high school a well known and respected lady took my older brother (then 16) and me under her wing.   She discovered that I was an honor student (top 5% of my class) and advised me on the job market prior to graduation.  Even though I wanted to work for another agency I wisely took her advice and accepted the position she recommended and subsequently had many promotions during my tenure with the agency.  I will never forget her encouragement which was so much more than a small act of kindness that changed the course of my professional career.

She also advised my older brother who became a well known and sought after building contractor.  Whenever she needed a remodel on her large home he was the only person she would allow to do the construction work.  He too owes her a debt of gratitude.  She died several years ago at the age of 103.  We both attended her funeral and shared with her family how she affected our life choices and all she meant to both of us.  We'll never forget her. 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Esteemed Contributor

@AnikaBrodie What a beautiful story. In a sense, this is how we mothers want others to love our children. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

Mine happened about twenty years ago. I had a very enlarged heart. It was a shock. I met the cardiologist for the first time. He examined me and said I am a pessimist but I am optimistic about you. I truly believe that he gave me the courage I needed to deal with the long process that lay ahead. He gave me hope.

Honored Contributor

Not an act of kindness, @ScrapHappy  Oh yes it was!!!  Don't ever think otherwise my friend.

One simple act speaks volumns. Your's a beautiful one in so many ways.

Honored Contributor

Your sister was the guardian angel that day @Bird mama.  Your and your sis are very special people.

Honored Contributor

I had gotten a flat tire in a rural area. This was before cell phones so I couldn't call my DH. Three men dressed like bikers riding their motorcycles stopped to help me. At first I was a bit scared because I thought they were going to rob me or worse.. But they were very nice and changed my tire for me.

Honored Contributor

As an adult, I realize how lucky I was as a child to have so many encouraging, and supportive people in my life.   

One of my main goals in life has been to encourage others.    I send lots of cards, notes, letters, and flowers to my family and friends thru their challenges in life; 8 cards went out this week, and I made a trip to the post office for more stamps.    

Respected Contributor

I have had two that I’ll always remember.

First one, I was ten years old and had put a special outfit in the cleaners to wear for a junior high school assembly program. The cleaners was quite a long way from my house and it was near their closing time, so I ran and ran as fast as I could, but they had already closed and locked up by the time I got there. I stood outside the door sobbing my heart out.  Then, a miracle, the door opened. Those kind, wonderful people let me in, reopened the cash register and let me get my clothes. As a ten year old I didn’t properly appreciate it then, but now ...

Next, I had a television roof antenna that needed adjusting so you know this was a long time ago. The repairman came and fixed it for me.  When it came time to pay, the charge was $20. When I opened my wallet, I had one lone $20 bill. That sweet man saw that and said, “There’s no charge”. I’ll never forget him.

Honored Contributor

I just learned today that one of the HR guys who was so kind to me in 2007 passed way this past January.  Rest in Peace Tom, you were a guardian angel to me when I needed one.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise