Honored Contributor

I worked 6+ years in retail. Our store was open until midnight the month before Christmas. Then we filled and cleaned up the store. We usually got out about 2AM.

It was the BEST time to be on the road, especially when it snowed. You pretty much had the road to yourself. 

It got to the point that during my "regular" job when people would leave early because of the snow. I always stayed later. So that most people were off the roads before I drove home. It always worked out well for me. I would have the roads pretty much to myself.

Not trying to say that is a solution. Just that sometimes during inclement weather it may be better to have fewer cars on the road.

Hope you are able to work out a solution.

Honored Contributor

If he can pay your daughter, he can pay Uber.  Uber is dependable and they don't take long to arrive.

Depending on how far his work is Uber really isn't too expensive and he would just have to add that expense to his budget.  If he found a driver who is local to him he might even make arrangements with the driver for regular pick ups....just a thought.

You mentioned he helped your daughter get over her fear of driving.  That's great except driving in the dark in the very early morning hours in your area as winter approaches there will be many mornings with frost (or more) on the car and black ice on the roads.  One incident could bring back your daughter's fear of driving.

Trusted Contributor

@hyacinth003 You are a wonderful soul, so kind & thoughtful.  If I have a vote in this, I vote NO.  There is a lot of liability here that would fall on you and your husband should anything happen  You need to keep your best position possible because a lot rides on your shoulders.  Winter in Chicago is dicey and more so at 4am.  This is the male friend's situation, suggest a car service and keep your strength for you & your family.  Wishing you the best.  

Honored Contributor

If she is unable to work, why would you want her driving and being reimbursed for it? Her friend should find another way to get to work.

Esteemed Contributor

Just my opinion....

The State gave her a license, she proved to them she is capable to operate a car.  Do you not let her drive your car other times?

Often on the roads very early in the morning in all kinds of weather.  Would much rather drive at that time than when the roads get crowded, you can go at a speed you are comfortable driving.

On the rare occasions when the weather may be really bad and your daughter is uncomfortable driving could not you or your husband step up and help out. 

It is a temporary situation, be a little flexible.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

My 31 year old daughter lives with my husband and I.  We are supporting her 100% due to her inability to work.  She has applied for disability, and we had a court date for October 19, but it was cancelled.  Seem the judge quit over a scandal!  We waited a year and a half for the court date.

She lives with us and uses our vehicles.  A male friend of hers (used to date, are now friends) had a serious car accident about 2 weeks ago.  He is a type 1 diabetic, and had a low blood sugar episode and the car went off the road.  He wasn't hurt, nor were any other cars involved.  However, this was reported to the Secretary of State.  They have suspended his license pending medical clearance and their "review board."

He cannot get an appointment with his doctor till the end of the month, and who knows how long the review will take.  So this leaves him unable to drive to work.  He works like 6pm to 4am.  His father is also a type 1 diabetic with vision impairment.  He is not supposed to drive at night, leaving her friend in a world of hurt.  He drove him last night and I think it didn't go so well.

He has asked my daughter if she will drive him HOME from work at 4am.  She is willing to do it, but I am really concerned.  He has offered payment, but my concerns aren't just that.  It is November in Chicagoland and we ARE going to get bad weather.  She would have to drive dark, not busy, roads to get there and back.  I would worry every time she did it.  I have tentatively told her that I don't think I will give permission for this.

She is upset, as he is a good friend, and I feel bad about it too.  He's kind of out of options other than his father driving him (if even possible in the long term).

Sorry this is long.  What would you say - yes or no.  So far, I am leaning no.

Hyacinth

If you have to ask- in your heart and more importantly head, you know the answer.

Honored Contributor

If it were your dd car/insurance, I wouldn't have a problem. She is an adult, and passed the driving test. DD should suggest to her friend to get uber/taxi/coworker etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

If it were your dd car/insurance, I wouldn't have a problem. She is an adult, and passed the driving test. DD should suggest to her friend to get uber/taxi/coworker etc.

Or she could just drive her friends car until he can get medical clearance. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the others.....liability issues.....also it sounds like they may be getting too enmeshed in each other's lives.....she should not feel responsible in this situation.....

They are only friends; she owes him nothing, certainly not her physical safety to say nothing of the worry and stress such an arrangement will place on you as her parents.

Respected Contributor

Well if it turns out he can't afford uber and you really want to help, you could drive him yourself.