Respected Contributor

Re: What's with all the "HUGGING"?

@blackhole99 wrote:

Frankly, I'm sick of seeing it constantly on the Q. If you notice they only hug who they consider the pretty people too. I could mention who the hosts don't make a point of hugging, but my post would be removed. If the hug isn't phony or forced I don't mind being hugged by a friend or relative, but that's it. My doctor likes to shake hands and I'm ok with that.

===========================

I'm NOT okay with that either.  How do I know he's washed his hands in between patients?

I noticed only MALE Drs. do this.  Female physicians have never shaken my hand.

It's just unecessary.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@RinaRina  wrote:

The kind of hugging done at my workplace is more like a choke-hold .. and it's fast;  so it's difficult to avoid.

I've had to tell one guy THREE different times, "I'm not hugging and I'm not kidding!"

I actually had to tell him I was NOT kidding.

A choke hold? They are hugging you around the neck?

Listen Rina, you're all grown up. I don't see why you can't get your point across about unwanted touching at work. 

You don't want to be touched, say so.

If "no hugs, please" doesn't work, be more direct and say "don't touch me" or "I don't want to be hugged". 

If they're so fast you can't sidestep the clutch, then clearly say "Dont touch me." while they're hugging you, and gently push them away as you say it.

Don't raise your voice or shove, but keep your message simple and perfectly clear.

. . . Are you hugging back?...And giggling while insisting "i'm not kidding."??

Why is there always workplace turmoil starring you?

^ this.

Honored Contributor

Hugging has been a "thing" for a very long time now and I am not a hugger, especially with new people--I hug my good friends and family but never just to hug----

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some of the vendors don't like being hugged.  Judith Ripka acted like the Loch Ness Monster was after her when a certain host tried to hug her!!  I was shocked!!!

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina Maybe just shake their hand.

Trusted Contributor

Hugging does not bother me at all.  A lot worse could happen than getting a hug.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fortune wrote:

Some of the vendors don't like being hugged.  Judith Ripka acted like the Loch Ness Monster was after here when a certain host tried to hug her!!  I was shocked!!!

========================================

Ripka prolly thought it was unneccesary.

Frankly, it's really an invasion of your personal space.

Since when did this behavior become "normal" in the workplace?

What happened to "boundaries"?

10 years ago, this was NOT normal.

If I went around greeting coworkers with a hug instead of a simple "good morning", it would've been considered unprofessional.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

I never had an issue in all those years at work. I’m retired now.

I’m one of the younger members of our women’s group and two of the women always hug me hello and goodbye and inadvertently end up pressing against the program button on my hearing aid ... leaving me momentarily deaf!
Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:
I never had an issue in all those years at work. I’m retired now.

I’m one of the younger members of our women’s group and two of the women always hug me hello and goodbye and inadvertently end up pressing against the program button on my hearing aid ... leaving me momentarily deaf!

======================

I need to ask you a question about hearing aids.

There's a lady at the dog park I frequent who wears hearing aids in BOTH ears, but she still can't hear.  I'm constanty having to repeat what I've said or shout.

The other day, I almost said to her, "I'm tired of shouting;  you need to get new hearing aids."  But I didn't want to hurt her feelings.

Honestly, I have to repeat EVERYTHING.

I don't know what to do.

Regular Contributor

forcing children to give or accept unwanted hugs, kisses or touching is just setting them up for child predators.  And dont for once second think you dont know any.  They are everywhere and know how to take advantage of vulnerable children.  At work it should be policy to maintain physical distance from coworkers for the protection of all.  I sure do not want to be hugged by strangers.  Family only or very close friends.