Honored Contributor

Re: What's the one thing you really wanted as a child but did not get?

[ Edited ]

(thread title only)

@sue311 ,

It would be a house. Born in Public Housing Projects and lived there most of my first 14 years. All of my classmates at my catholic school lived in houses.

Had their own yards and could have a dog. Neither of these were possible living in the Projects. Myself and my 2 older sisters all started working very young and our goal was to get a house for our mom. Nothing was more important to me.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

First thing that came to my mind was I really wanted to play with a Patti PlayPal I had gotten as a Christmas present when I was little.  Apparently, the doll fell on me when I first got it, and my parents decided it wasn’t a safe toy.  As I got a little older (around 5 or so and up until I stopped playing with dolls), I would ask for the doll, but for whatever reason, she stayed locked up. (I was a very frail and sickly child, so maybe they just thought it wasn’t a good toy for me)

When my parents retired and were moving, they came across the dolll, and gave her to me (I was 40)

Contributor

.....A Mother....

Esteemed Contributor

Growing up, I was obsessed with The Brady Bunch.  I always wanted my parents to move to Hollywood so I could be on the show (I thought it would be that easy.....LOL).

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

A baby monkey but Dad said they were dirty animals so that ended it.

Respected Contributor

@blueroses47 Your post really touched me.  I am the same way...,now I have a very feminine bedroom, and through the years I’ve spent a lot on beautiful quilts and linens.  And I don’t take it for granted, either!

A note to the horse lovers...I grew up on a small farm, and we actually DID have a pony!  We had a blast riding her....usually bareback and just gripping her mane....the saddle was too hard for us to put on her when Dad was at work.

Good memories.  🐎

Respected Contributor

Three day weekends and better grades 😂.

Honored Contributor

At around 10 years old, I wanted a horse so badly, that I put an ad in a little local paper selling my beautiful white canopy bed.  

Unbeknownst to my parents, who started getting calls about it.Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I wanted a Susy Smart doll, a Barbie, and a sister, but got Midge, a watch, and another brother.   I cried buckets when my brother was born, didn’t want my parents to bring him home; I had such plans for a sister!    Mom kept telling me God sends us what we need and there was a reason he sent me a bother.   When my two best friends got baby sisters, and had to share their bedrooms, I figured it out, and decided my brother was okay.

As the years have passed, I have been very thankful to have my brothers.  They have done so much to help with our parents, and are very nice, well respected men in this community.   I love them very much and thank God for them every day.   

Respected Contributor

A bike.  We lived on a busy street and my Mom was (is) a worrier.