Valued Contributor

Re: What's the one thing you really wanted as a child but did not get?

Dancing lessons, a vanity and play kitchen.  

Honored Contributor

To go shipping and get things just for the fun of it.  My parents had 5 kids and my mom was a sahm.  My dad was cross country trucker and made good money, we had everything we needed.  Emphasis no "needed".   If we out grew something, we got a new one.  If something was torn or worn and couldn't be mended, we got a new one.  I envied my friends who would go shopping with the moms and get a pretty new sweater or a cool pair of sneakers or a pretty skirt...just because.  There was no recreational shopping in our house. I started working as a dietary aide after school when I was 15 so I could buy my own things.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Really Nothing! I grew up very privileged, my parents both worked, and it was just me and my younger sister, and my parents both worked very hard to give us a nice home, we were involved in lots of things, and my parents were their for us and volunteered at our schools, and other activities. We took a nice vacation every year with our grandparents along as well.  

We lived in one of those "Dream Neighborhoods" where there were tons of families and kids, all of different races, religions,etc.....We had Doll Buggy Parades, and all walked to school together in groups, had block parties,etc.....

My parents instilled in both of us the importance of working hard, being kind, family, and most importantly GOD..So I can't really say I wanted for anything. I am sure there was something I wanted and didn't get, because I didn't get everything I wanted of course, but I can't think of it right now.....It was probably a Barbie of some sort though! lol!

Trusted Contributor

Mine was a horse, too.  We moved out to the country to a house with six acres of land, but no horse.

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

I can't think of a darned thing. I certainly didn't get everything I wanted, but I just can't think of anything that mattered so much that I'd still give it even a brief thought now. 

Same here, can't think of a thing. I racked my brain. I think back in the 50's and 60's we did so much outside and played from morning till night with friends that I didn't think about what I didn't have.  Oh, I just thought of something...my friend gave me a hamster that I wanted.  I took it home, didn't tell mom.... and kept it in one of those cardboard doll case trunks.  It ate it's way out and we never did find it!  Mom wasn't too happy but she didn't say much.  I never got another one!

Honored Contributor

To be left alone.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

A BB gun and a train set.  Probably for the best I never got the BB gun, but I was always so disappointed at Christmas when I didn't get them.  Lots of dolls though!

Valued Contributor

A Patty Play Pal Doll. They were HUGE and wore children's sized clothes. My mom said she already had 6 kids and didn't want another one. <haha> But they were out of our family's price range, and I knew I'd never get one.

Super Contributor

Same for me, a horse, didn't get it or the cocker spanial puppy.

Respected Contributor

A stable family, which I never got.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky