Valued Contributor

Re: What's the one thing you really wanted as a child but did not get?

A secret library. My parents thought spending money on books was a waste of money. Our local library was tiny and I'd already read through all the kids books. I had an attic bedroom and the plywood wall beside my bed covered a large empty space by the eaves. I always imagined I would one day have a secret door into that space and a secret library all my own. 

I wanted a dog too but that was a no go. 

Honored Contributor

An older brother.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Frequent Contributor

EZ Bake Oven!

Honored Contributor

Tom Scoble for a boyfriend. I had a crush on him from 5th grade science camp clear through freshman year

Contributor

I wanted a couple things:

1) Easy Bake Oven.  Told a coworker that one time. She joked said that you have a real oven, you can bake whatever you want in it. I said it was not the same!

2) Light Brite.  Parents thought my brother and me would lose the blubs.

3)  Finally got an Operation game when I was around 12 and my brother was around 11. Parents said the same thing. Thought we would lose the organs for the game. I guess this one does not count as I finally got one!

4)  Parents never let my brother and me go into those playgrounds with the balls you jump into until we were about 10/12 years old. When other kids were allowed to go in there at 6/7/8 years old?!?!  Parents I guess were over protective.  I guess this one does not count either as I finally did it. 

5)  Pierced ears.  Still don't have them done. My dad had a rule I could not get them done until I was 16.  Around 13 he asked why I don't have them done. My mom and me got him and joke saying, "Someone in this room told her she could not get them done until 16." When he asked if I wanted them done, I was SOOOOOOO over getting my ears pierced, to this day I never cared.  Not too long after that when my brother turned 12 or 13, he got his one ear pierced. He had it in for about 1 year and got tired of it. 

Valued Contributor

A trip to Disneyland.. but I visited both Disneyland and DisneyWorld as an adult!

Respected Contributor

A mom and dad.....Lived with alcohol grandparents.  

Contributor

@AuntMame  I don't understand why anyone would people think books are a waste of money?   

Thankfully my library is HUGE and I like to check the book out and read it before I buy it as books do take alot of room up. Hate to spend money on a book and it is not good. So I can see that.  But if it is a great book, I don't see how it is a waste of money?

Frequent Contributor

A piano

A small tent for the back yard

A walkie talkie

Frequent Contributor

A Tressy Doll.  You could make her hair grow long, short or in between.