Respected Contributor

Re: What's the one thing you really wanted as a child but did not get?

A train set.

Trusted Contributor

Siblings 

A Barbie townhouse 

To have someone at home with me after school when I was 9

Super Contributor

Mine was not a material item, I wanted parents that didn't argue everytime they were in the same room. I dreamed of having parents like Lucy and Ricky, or Rob and Laura Petrie, where there was love and laughter.

Respected Contributor

Cabbage Patch Doll. They sold out of them right before Christmas.

Frequent Contributor

Two things -- I really wanted a play kitchen and somehow survived not getting one. Smiley Very Happy

The other thing is a sister. I've always wished I had a sister.

Respected Contributor

Growing up in the 60s, there were two options for dolls. Barbie or Tammy dolls.  I was a fan of the Tammy family.  For YEARS my Mom would trek to every store in our area to find Tammy's parents for me.  She was never able to find them.  Many years after my doll playing time was past, Mom told me the story, the tears in her eyes as she explained it to me was more worth ever having the dolls.

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

nanny24,  I wanted the same thing as you- the thought that came into my mind when I read the post was Peace in my family.  I survived and thankfully have a wonderful husband & we have a peaceful happy marriage.  

Honored Contributor

Barbie.

Respected Contributor

Mostly I wanted clothes that fit.  WhenI got anything new it was aalways too big so I could grow into it.  I hated that.

In 8th grade I wanted white go-go boots.  they were so stylish and all the cool girls wore them.  I never got them and I survived.  Now I can see they were just a passing fad.

Respected Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I always wanted one of those horses on a frame with springs and every time I see one I still have the longing for one and the urge to jump on it.

OMG.  I wanted one of those too.  I remember the Christmas evening we spent with my Aunt and her family.  I opened the door to the back porch and saw a brand new bouncing spring horse there.  I was so excited thinking it was a gift for me.  It was for my younger cousin, Michael.  I was devastated.  That was like 62 years ago and I remember like it yesterday.