Honored Contributor

What's 'that one thing' about you that friends and relations find it hard to understand?

For me, it's the fact that I prefer to be alone.

I think it's hard for friends to understand because I'm very friendly and personable.  At one point I was nicknamed Oprah, because I'm such a good moderator at gatherings. I'm good at bringing people together and facilitating conversations.  The truth is, though, that I wish everyone would just leave me alone.  Not proud of it, just honest.

What's the one thing that friends find it hard to understand about you?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: What's 'that one thing' about you that friends and relations find it hard to understand?

@house_cat, I love being alone too.  When my husband traveled I actually had "girl" time...  not so much now with him working from home 24/7.  I have not adapted well to the change and it's been a few years, LOL I am slow at change. 

I guess people wonder about my staying away too but when and if I want to visit, I will. 

@house_cat, love your honesty!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's 'that one thing' about you that friends and relations find it hard to understand?

People still believe that being single = being desperate and I'm anything but! Some women are still reading a 1950's LHJ and "a man will fixx everything"!  

I no longer organize, plan nor fix other people's issues. When I stopped doing that, people left me alone.

I wasn't their friend. Just their hired help.

Honored Contributor

@Suziepeach

I learn so much communicating with posters here. Honesty is essential to learning about one another and discovering our commonalities.

I'm what I consider to be a "cat".... I'm loving and warm and social on my terms.  I need my space.

I'm married to a "dog" who is forever in my space needing attention for one reason or another.  We've done okay for 35 years, but it is problematic at times.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Like you, house_cat.....I prefer to stay home....I worked with the public all my working life...and I enjoyed being with people...but now I just want to be left alone in the comfort of my place..my friends and family...(other then my sister..who is the same)....don't seem to understand...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I see  a trend developing here...

Honored Contributor

I don't know why for sure, but I love being alone. I was an only child, and I liked it that way, little old ladies would always ask me if I wanted a brother or sister, and I answered  emphatically NO.  I have people I love spending time with, but  I love my alone time. I guess I'm a cat too, hence the nickname. 😻

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

My interest in the web ,is a mystery to  most of my friends, who have no interest in  computers

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm 57 years old and I've never had children.  I chose not to.  I made that decision in September 1964 on my first day of kindergarten.  I was four.

It's not that I don't like them.  And I have nothing but respect and admiration for good parents.

I donate blood regularly and one of the questions I'm asked is:

Have you ever been pregnant?

When I answer "no," I always get a surprised/baffled response.

When I graduated from college and began working, I used to meet with older female coworkers for drinks and dinner.  Inevitably, after a few cocktails, these women would always say the same thing.

"I love my children, I do, but if I were to do it all over again..."

I decided a very long time ago that I would rather regret not having children than regret having them.

Happily, I still have no regrets.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

I, too, enjoy being alone (except for my furry babies and my son when he comes by).  There have been times when I hated it, but lately that's what I want.  Sometimes I just want the whole world to leave me alone, but it intrudes upon me in the form of things I have to deal with, like banks, and insurance companies, and cable companies, etc.  There are honestly times when I don't really want to go out of the house for a week or two (have to stock up on groceries and cat food). I spent much of my life in the corporate world and then self-employed for a number of years and didn't have a choice.  Now I do.  My brother gets "crazy" if he is forced to stay in for more than 2 days -- weather and such and doesn't understand it at all.  My son and a couple of close friends don't understand it.  But that's okay.  When I do go out, I can enjoy even simple things like going to the grocery store - I've had some great conversations with complete strangers!  Sometimes I don't want to be alone that much, so I'm not -- but I do have that choice at this point in my life.  happy smiley emoticon